Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Default nutrition questions

from what i understand about milk, its made up of casein and whey. i also read on the back of a lot of protein bars that the whey and/or casien in them comes from milk. so is it basically just as good to drink skim milk as it would be to drink some %100 whey supplement (except that you would be getting some extra casein)? mind that lactose is not an issue as i am highly lactose-tolerant. what makes pure protein supplements better than skim milk?

unrelated question: i read the back of the ingredients on several snacks that i buy, and they say they have 0g of transfat, but then listed in the ingredients is "partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil" or "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (or whatever)." that means they do have transfat, right? it just means that they have transfat, but they have less than 1 gram per serving, right?

please advise.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: nutrition questions

Whey is made from milk but drinking milk is not the same as taking a whey protein supplement. For one, the whey powder alone is typically highly filtered and designed to be very fast digesting. It's also much more unadulterated protein (check out a glass of milk which has like 8g of protein and 90 calories vs. a good whey protein which will be like 110 calories and 24g of protein). Plus, it's my understanding that whey is created from milk in the sense that it's skimmed off the top of the milk after curdling and then processed in some manner... I don't really recommend drinking milk after curdling though it's not like drinking milk is going to hurt you, but it's not really the same as whey.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from what i understand about milk, its made up of casein and whey. i also read on the back of a lot of protein bars that the whey and/or casien in them comes from milk. so is it basically just as good to drink skim milk as it would be to drink some %100 whey supplement (except that you would be getting some extra casein)? mind that lactose is not an issue as i am highly lactose-tolerant. what makes pure protein supplements better than skim milk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, skim milk is great. In fact, Mark Rippetoe puts his guys on 1 gallon a day of milk for bulking. Milk supposedly has lots of good benefits aside from just the protein that you get in the whey. (edit : actually IMO 2% milk is better than skim because it's a better nutrition balance)

The reason most people sue the whey protein power is it's hard to drink enough milk to get that much protein, the powder is way more concentrated, and the milk contains a lot of sugar, which is really not a problem IMHO but some nutters trying to eat low carb think that's bad.

[ QUOTE ]

unrelated question: i read the back of the ingredients on several snacks that i buy, and they say they have 0g of transfat, but then listed in the ingredients is "partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil" or "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (or whatever)." that means they do have transfat, right? it just means that they have transfat, but they have less than 1 gram per serving, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like the stupid round-down rule. Some of those products actually have a huge percentage of transfat and they just get away with it by making the serving size really small. Sounds like some kind of packaged processed junk that you should avoid anyway.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like the stupid round-down rule. Some of those products actually have a huge percentage of transfat and they just get away with it by making the serving size really small. Sounds like some kind of packaged processed junk that you should avoid anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't normally shop on my own much, but i did yesterday and saw this on hot chocolate packets. hydrogenated oil, 0g trans fat per serving. checking wiki, the limit is .5g/serving can be rounded down to 0. depending on serving sizes this is a pretty crap limit imo.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM

Yeah the classic funny one is Pam (oil spray) which is "0g fat per serving" despite being 99% fat.

A lot of the whipped margarine products like country crock stuff are now claiming 0g transfat per serving even though it's a major component.

You just have to use your head. Never trust the packaging.