Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which College Football Rating System Rates the Teams Most Accurately?
One or More of the Human Polls (AP, Harris, OR Coaches) 1 7.69%
Sagarin Predictor 2 15.38%
Another Computer Rating System 3 23.08%
BCS 1 7.69%
Compilation of Various Computer Ratings 4 30.77%
Some Combination of Human Polls and Computer Ratings But NOT the BCS 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

[ QUOTE ]

regarding the 2nd one, very few people tip on pickup orders at restaurants. i usually pay cash and at least tip any change i get, because i used to work in a kitchen, but it's not egregiously bad not to tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chili's in Appleton, WI always screws up my order. I always order the Monterey Jack Mushroom Fajitas, and something always gets left out, be it the lettuce, the tortillas (why do all places only give you three tortillas? You get way too much filling for only three tortillas... wtf?), or whatever.

The last time I was there to pick up my order, I waited at least five minutes before someone acknowledged my presence, and then five more minutes to get my food.

The total was about $27 (wife got stuff too). I gave the chick $30 and she asks me if I want change. The fuckedupedness of it all made me reply "No, that's cool", but I am never ordering take-out from Chili's again.

I ask for extra tortillas and they give me one more...wtf? It's a freaking tortilla... Double that [censored] bitch.

Chili's sucks.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack, but this gives me an excuse to ask a tipping question that probably came up in talking with a friend.

You goto a bar. Your friend is bartending. If he was not there, the total bill should have been something like $40 + tip. He charges you for only a few drinks - and the bill comes out to $15. What is your tip for him?

My friend argued that we should go with option B, essentially giving our friend all the money that we saved instead of the bar. This seemed silly to me though, because I am then getting 0 hookup, and might as well use any bartender.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say you slip him a $20... Keep the friendship going.

Sometimes you forget to give him anything at all, but don't forget him, your bartender friend.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go with option 2 , since your friend is a thief and will eventually be fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, the bartender friend I was thinking about has lost two jobs because of this. He still banks, though.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 AM

it's pretty obvious a #3 situation as being standard. Friends like to know they hooked you up in this spot, and you hooked them up with a higher tip than normal so they're happy. Both parties walk away happy, going with option B often makes even the friend uncomfortable.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are everyone's thoughts on 18%-20% autograt places?

That seriously pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean autograts on parties of 6 or more, you must not go out much, b/c that's pretty much industry-wide.

Regarding tipping a friend that hooks you up--there's no set rule, just tip him very generously, but not so much that it negates the hooking-up he's trying to throw your way. Common sense stuff.

Also, 10% is fairly standard on takeout orders. It's not set in stone, but at least throw the person who spent five minutes putting your order together something. And for God's sake don't write a big zero on the tip line, as that's extra-annoying and hate-worthy.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:28 AM

Even though I tip always, I dont get what its for anymore. I just do it to not be a jackass.
Why would you pay extra money, while other people who do their normal jobs dont get that?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
td,

"hooking up big tippers makes sense not only for the bartenders but also the managers and owners"

You weren't hooking people up. You were straight up stealing, period. That does not make sense for the owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely the act of theft is me not charging for the drink, and whether or not i get tipped on it is irrelevent, right?

bartenders steal from their employers. it's a perk of the job, and your employers know it goes on and mostly turn a blind eye. then they don't have to get you health insurance or a 401k.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I tip always, I dont get what its for anymore. I just do it to not be a jackass.
Why would you pay extra money, while other people who do their normal jobs dont get that?

[/ QUOTE ]
In some countries, people in the service industry get horrible wages. In most other countries, they are not really paid well, either.