Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which side of a coin is the front?
Heads 213 86.94%
Tails 16 6.53%
Neither 16 6.53%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Stars $55 regular, BB special

Indy & I disagree on how this hand should have been played.

The options are:

A. Lead out on the flop
B. Checkraise the flop
C. Play as it played out here

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1535)
UTG+1 (t2610)
MP1 (t2055)
MP2 (t1590)
CO (t1725)
Button (t1370)
SB (t1115)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t15, Hero checks

Flop: (t90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t90</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t90

Turn: (t270) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90

River: (t450) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks
Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Stars $55 regular, BB special

If anybody says C/R, I think it would be interesting to see how they would play the turn/river. I'd personally pop the turn very hard if he flat called me, and likely get it in the middle on the end, even if I don't hit.

Indy
Old 08-18-2006, 11:30 AM

I usually play my draws passively and hope they hit or just let them go. I think most other moves are just to fancy for a STT, unless you have a dead-on read.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 AM

I like leading out on the flop because of the possibility of takeing the pot now and maybe gettting a free card on the turn.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like leading out on the flop because of the possibility of takeing the pot now and maybe gettting a free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind we're out of position on the turn, so there wont likely be a free river if he calls &amp; we check the turn.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 AM

I voted for D, but it was a mistake, sort of...

I think you have 2 options here, 1 would be to lead out and the other would be to check-fold in this particular instance.

In practice, I'd almost always lead out here for 2 reasons. 1 is it disguises your hand which makes it easier to extract chips from other hands when a 3rd diamond hits. 2 is that it gives you a way to pick the pot up immediately, and will probably work often when all that happens pre-flop is 1 MP player limps and the SB completes. I can see both players folding often enough so that leading would be profitable, even if you never hit your flush when you get called or raised.

The reason I voted D is because after checking, I would just fold for a pot sized bet. I don't care that it's small relative to your stack; pot odds are pot odds and you aren't getting correct odds to call. I know a lot of people will say, well what about implied odds. But if you check-call down to the river and a 3rd diamond hits, do you really think you're getting paid off? I think the CC line makes your hand fairly transparent and so I'm playin pot odds here more than implied odds. I'd be more inclined to call chasing a draw in a cash game anyway, where I can reload to a full stack after I miss.

If you check and MP does something goofy like min-bet, I would probably check-raise for the same reasons I would lead out. An additional reason I like check-raising a small bet more than a large one, is that you achieve the same effect for less chips. If villain calls a meaningful check-raise to his pot sized bet and the turn blanks, you're going to be in an awkward situation where you've put in ~300 chips, are out of position, and have king-high.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM

wiggs, nice post.

(I also voted to fold by the way)
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Without reading any responses.... i check and fold to the pot sized bet on the flop because you aren't getting odds and if you hit your hand there aren't really any implied odds.

XraySpeX
Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM

i would play the flop as you did and check the turn as well.after his weak turn bet i would reraise to 350. that should win the hand there and completely disguise our draw.if he repops i would fold,if he calls i would push any river.may be unorthodox,but keep them guessing...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM

I'd bet flop. If I checked and faced a pot bet I'd fold.

Yugoslav