Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 11:36 AM

Default Stealing from the button

I recently read a thread about +EV situations that you've picked up from SNGPT. A poster mentioned that he was missing lots of +EV push spots from the button with marginal hands. Since I don't have SNGPT yet, I experimented a bit with some decent hands trying to steal from the button with great success.

My question is do your push ranges change significantly from the button as opposed to the SB. My thoughts are that I push almost any 2 when I have <10BB and its folded to me in the SB. From the button, however, given that I have <10 BB and SB and BB would have to risk a significant portion of there stack (at least 50%)to call me, how does my push range change from the button.

My view is that the SB and the BB call ranges are stil pretty tight. They probably fold hands like A7, not sure about the percentages.

So how small does my push range shrink from the button? A lot or not that much? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Stealing from the button

Well, you are almost twice as likely to be called so you need to push a lot less. Pushing any two from the sb with almost 10BB is very often a bad idea btw.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Quick example

6 players left (all equal stacks)
Blinds 300/600

JTo from the button is - 2.0% EV
JTo from the SB is + .3% EV

(calling range 22+, A2s+, A3o+, KTs+)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you are almost twice as likely to be called so you need to push a lot less. Pushing any two from the sb with almost 10BB is very often a bad idea btw.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Also oyvindgee, if you ever change your avatar I'll kick your ass.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Kev kev that article, as you well know, only bases it on chipEV, NOT on $EV!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing any two from the sb with almost 10BB is very often a bad idea btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Btw, I said I push almost any 2 with <10BB. I think thats right. So you think I should tighten up quite a bit then. Why then did a previous sngpt poster say there's lots of +EV spots from the button. I dont think my push range should be that tight, but I'm not sure. Percentages anyone??

Also I think the statement that I will be twice as likely to be called from the button doesn't seem right. I was thinking more along the lines of 1.5 times more like. Can anyone show math for this. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing any two from the sb with almost 10BB is very often a bad idea btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Btw, I said I push almost any 2 with <10BB. I think thats right. So you think I should tighten up quite a bit then. Why then did a previous sngpt poster say there's lots of +EV spots from the button. I dont think my push range should be that tight, but I'm not sure. Percentages anyone??

Also I think the statement that I will be twice as likely to be called from the button doesn't seem right. I was thinking more along the lines of 1.5 times more like. Can anyone show math for this. Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said almost twice as often since BB will call somwhat looser than sb, but really not a great deal. The best way to get a feel for the difference is playing around with SNGPT.