Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Stress From Investing

I'm a poker player and have made a fair amount of money. I just bought a condo and I have more than enough money and given my history as a poker player, intellectually I am in 100% great shape. However emotionally it gets to me and really stresses me out. I have played a lot of poker lately to make more money to just buy it outright and not be in stress, and I am close. However the debt itself makes it harder to play poker and I have dropped down in stakes a lot and don't make nearly as much as I should. In fact I am going to cut back on the hours a lot now becuase I have just put in a lot and don't think I can keep it up without losing.

Does anyone have any advice for me or personal experiences to share? I'm 95% sure that I'm in great shape now, and in 1 year I will be in be in even greater shape but emotionally, the debt gets to me, emotionally, the fact that now I HAVE to play poker to pay of debt and the inflexibility gets to me.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Stress From Investing

This is something you should have thought more about before buying the place. I know exactly what your saying and this topic is probably better for the psycology section.

I don't know if there's any way around it. I myself am very comfortable and do well playing poker. I own a lawn mowing business that can very easily be cutting into poker profits because it requires a lot of time. I can however pay the bills with that money. I have thought many times of selling the business but just know deep down I would stress out if i run bad or have that feeling of "having to play".

You need another source of income or less financial responsibilties.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM

Welcome to everyday life! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] BTW, I agree it sucks, but think how good it will feel when you have it paid off.

Jimbo
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM

Yeah it is pretty sick. I used to be one of the best about not letting bad beats or bad runs get to me. Now if I lose 1 buy in on a coinflip it rattles me, ridiculous. Wicket: yeah I am considering a few other ways to make the money risk free like poker coaching, or I could even rent out the place for a year or two while I pay it off (but it seems kind of silly to rent it out when the money I derive from rent would be so small compared to poker winnings).

Jimbo: yeah, real life sucks! I just want to light the place on fire and leave the country. and yes, it shoulnd't take too long, in about a year i should be in very solid shape but damn, a year is a long time and this really occupies way too much of my thinking time.