Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

[ QUOTE ]
going through his stuff is lame imo

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so. got any better ideas?

the alternative is simply forget about it, but it doesn't sound like the OP is going to be able to do that. there are variations on the "make an implied accusation" method and hope for a confession or clear evidence of guilt (though as has been noted, if the kids turns red that could as easily mean "why do I always get blamed" as "I'm guilty"), but I don't think these are likely to yield anything other than a lot of awkwardness which the OP is trying to avoid, anyway.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just let it slide, the kid will deny it, there is no way to actually prove it, it is just going to create awful tension around the holidays. Just keep the money hidden when he is around.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm doing. I've let the entire thing slide because I think it's best. I'm treating my nephew as if nothing happened but we are going to the mall soon and normally I'd buy him something but I won't this time and I'm not going to let my mother spend the amount she usually would on him. Also, his d-day is Friday. I was going to put $100 in the card but now he's getting a fiver.

To the poster who wanted to know what my brother would do:

He'd try to be calm but eventually go insane. I can't risk it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOWARD: <font color="green">Did the cage short me? Did I drop it somewhere? The answer to both is 'I don't think so' but that isn't good enough. My mind starts to create doubts.</font>

BY-TOR: <font color="blue">if close and you are 100% positive the cash is missing and you are 99% sure that he took it</font>

it does not appear that the conditions of by-tor's advice have been met.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so and it's why I'm not saying anything. Being 99% certain isn't good enough.

Re: Which pocket? I left my pants draped over my BR chair. Nephew is staying in the next room over and could easily slip into my room while I'm in the bathroom.

Anyway, I've thought about it some more and I'm not even going to stop my mom from buying him stuff. I'm chalking it up to experience and some sort of very long delayed Karma pay-back.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm doing. I've let the entire thing slide because I think it's best. I'm treating my nephew as if nothing happened but we are going to the mall soon and normally I'd buy him something but I won't this time and I'm not going to let my mother spend the amount she usually would on him. Also, his d-day is Friday. I was going to put $100 in the card but now he's getting a fiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're not sure if he stole the money, but you're going to passive-aggressively punish him as if he did? So if he didn't take the money, he'll be completely perplexed as to what he did to make you suddenly treat him so much differently than usual. Good plan. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Looks like you've already changed your mind.

I have a child who is almost 14. If she steals $100 from my brother, or if he strongly suspected that she stole $100 from him, I would expect him to tell me about it. It would suck to be told at Thanksgiving, but raising children is difficult - - as are relationships between family members and brothers.

I think it is wrong to withhold information from family members about their children because of a fear that the disclosure will create a dramatic, tense situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Social retard? wtf, I'm more normal than most on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly mutually exclusive statements.

[ QUOTE ]

Just let it slide, the kid will deny it, there is no way to actually prove it, it is just going to create awful tension around the holidays. Just keep the money hidden when he is around.

---------------------------

This is what I'm doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
normally I'd buy him something but I won't this time and I'm not going to let my mother spend the amount she usually would on him. Also, his d-day is Friday. I was going to put $100 in the card but now he's getting a fiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? How is any of this even close to 'letting it slide'?
Letting it slide means letting it slide.

If you want to give him some cold-shoulder type treatment and think that's best (which I think is a bad way to go but whatever) then go ahead and do that. But you aren't even coming close to the 'letting it slide' suggestion that you somehow think you are actually agreeing with.

Also - there still seems to be the very real possibility that you were shorted at the cage or had mis-counted how much you had won or something like that.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe do something nice for him, but letting him keep the money is a really bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Howard finds out for certain that his nephew stole the money, the only "nice" thing he should do for him is to not rat him out to his father (if the kid admits that the took the money and apologizes, that is). Anything more than that is gravy for the kid.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

---------------------------

This is what I'm doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
normally I'd buy him something but I won't this time and I'm not going to let my mother spend the amount she usually would on him. Also, his d-day is Friday. I was going to put $100 in the card but now he's getting a fiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? How is any of this even close to 'letting it slide'?
Letting it slide means letting it slide.

If you want to give him some cold-shoulder type treatment and think that's best (which I think is a bad way to go but whatever) then go ahead and do that. But you aren't even coming close to the 'letting it slide' suggestion that you somehow think you are actually agreeing with.

Also - there still seems to be the very real possibility that you were shorted at the cage or had mis-counted how much you had won or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right and as I've mentioned above I'm going to totally let it slide.

Re the necessity of telling my brother even at this time: He's on the patio eating a salad, my sister is sunning herself at the pool and mom is looking forward to going to the mall. Thanksgiving dinner is at 3:00 tomorrow. I can't bring myself to mess this up.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Howard,

It is a nice day today, isn't it?