Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Odell,

I'm the guy who's the pitch nazi. IMO, Maintaining an edgy, rough, unpolished sound is an entirely different set of skills from staying on pitch. Take, for example, Louis Armstrong. You can't tell me his singing was neat, clean, or polished, but he was always dead on pitch. In the theme of this thread, consider Janis Joplin, too. Even when she was drunk off her ass and wailing at the peaks of her songs, she would have better note placement and pitch than Fiona Apple or a few of the other artists you've brought up. I'm not expecting opera-style singing from anyone in this thread outside of Brightman, but for me, staying on pitch is a fundamental of good singing that's essential. I love all sorts of singers who have all manner of colors to the sounds of their voices, but they all stay on the right pitch in the right key.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrWookie - So it is pitchy singers that you don't like. Are you this guy?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the guy who's the pitch nazi.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you're really going to hate it when I do my tribute to Johnette Napolitano. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Good choice, Dom.
I love Cat Power. I've seen her twice live, both post alcoholism. Both really good shows, no crazy antics, except for Chan just being her quirky self.

The Greatest is an excellent album, one of those albums that enhances a specific time/mood like maybe summer during sunset relaxing in your backyard or at the beach.

My favorite track is Living Proof. I also love The Moon.
The Greatest, Willie, Lived In Bars are all stand outs too. I love listening to it start to finish.

One of my favorite singer/songwriters.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Wook,

thoughts?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wook,

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 AM

^ Sorry, I don't get it. I am too young, I guess.

I wasn't joking there, though; I am interested in your knowledge of singing (since I have none myself) and was wondering what you would think of a performance like that.

edit: by which I mean, it's kinda goofy but also very "clear"-sounding to me. obv not everyone can pull that off and it took some kind of skill. I'm not sure about the technical terms.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wook,

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The clear answer
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
^ Sorry, I don't get it. I am too young, I guess.

I wasn't joking there, though; I am interested in your knowledge of singing (since I have none myself) and was wondering what you would think of a performance like that.

edit: by which I mean, it's kinda goofy but also very "clear"-sounding to me. obv not everyone can pull that off and it took some kind of skill. I'm not sure about the technical terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that was my best attempt to get a, "Shirley, you can't be serious," reference, but since that line was said by Striker and not by Oveurr, I kinda fail, too. I'd have dug up the right picture, but you were too quick. Seriously, though, (surely), that link is so bad I thought you were just leveling. I suppose the awfulness is less Bjork and more the horrendous band backing her, but man, she needs a new band.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wook,

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh man, that is classic, Wook!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a link to a very long interview of Mary Gauthier: http://www.puremusic.com/maryg1.html

Link to "Mercy Now", with images of the New Orleans disaster in the background - http://youtube.com/watch?v=TC_EGcswWaw A wonderful song that is appropriately coupled with one of the worst, continuing tragedies in American history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love her voice in this song Odell. It's very unique and unaffected. The video is depressing but the vocals and guitar are rich and beautiful.

So I just read about her on wikipedia. Wow, she did more in her 1st 35 years than I will ever do in my lifetime. Runaway, drug addict, jail time, culinary school, even opened a successful restaurant. Also, kind of interesting that she wrote her first song when she was 35. Thanks for sharing; I'm really enjoying all the links.