Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Default .50/1 LO8, bottom set in large pot.

Just sat down, so no reads. I posted in the cutoff.

Pokerstars
Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2, folds, MP3 (poster) checks, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls, SB folds, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 7 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9.75BB, 6 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (14.75BB, 5 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Results:
Final pot: 16.75BB
Old 08-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: .50/1 LO8, bottom set in large pot.

Giant Fan - I'm guessing UTG either has 54XY or a pair of aces. Since there are more ways to have 54XY than a pair of aces, since 54XY is the nuts and since UTG did not raise before the flop, I'm guessing UTG probably has 54XY.

So you'd like to bail after UTG bets the turn - but the pot is too big.

Let's back up. When you raise on the flop, either BB has to re-raise or you should expect everybody who has already put in one bet to put in one more bet. Thus unless BB re-raises, you're only increasing the size of the pot, which tends to get you stuck in the pot.

And bottom set is simply not that good with all of these opponents. someone probably has two pairs so that if the board pairs, unless you make quads, your full house will probably not be the best high hand. In addition, you have no low and off the top of my head it seems like low will get there about three times out of four, something like that, so that you're mainly playing for half the pot.

I hate starting hands with small pairs in loose games. I realize you posted and therefore got to see the flop free. And then it's damned hard to fold a set, even bottom set. I still remember the last time I folded flopped bottom set when not in the blind. It was several years ago and when it turned out my folded hand would have been a winner, I remarked to a helpful, friendly, more experienced, strong player next to me that I had folded a pair of deuces. He replied that if I wasn't going to continue with a hand when I flopped a set of deuces, then I shouldn't have played the hand in the first place. He was spot on, and I have not forgotten that "lesson." Anyhow you got stuck this time.

Here's my advice to you: Don't raise on the flop with bottom set unless the raise will force all or all but one of your opponents to fold. In a nutshell, you can't expect to profitably play bottom set with this many opponents.

Pretty tough to fold for one bet anyhow, though, with so much in the pot and so much more potentially in the pot.

Tough spot. My condolences.

Buzz
Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: .50/1 LO8, bottom set in large pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my advice to you: Don't raise on the flop with bottom set unless the raise will force all or all but one of your opponents to fold. In a nutshell, you can't expect to profitably play bottom set with this many opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great way to put it. Thanks for the helpful response.