Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Poker Player on \"Are You Smarter then a 5th Grader?\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi pyedog,

P.S. Also, "Who was the 1st US Sec of the Treasury?" That is a VERY hard question for most Americans. I'm guessing that 5th graders are slightly more likely to know it than adults, since it's trivially unimportant and involves our government, and that's what we try to fill our kids' heads with over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know about history specifically the founding of the US, knowing Alexander Hamilton isn't that hard.

If they were to ask who the current secretary of treasury is, I would think that it much more challenging of a question, as ironic as that might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that this would probably help, as well; his name must be on the Declaration of Independence, for example. Still, I'd bet that 8/10 random US adults would get this wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to nitpick, but he didn't sign it. alexander hamilton was in college when it was signed.

but i agree that the average american wouldn't know the answer. the average american is dumb.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi pyedog,

P.S. Also, "Who was the 1st US Sec of the Treasury?" That is a VERY hard question for most Americans. I'm guessing that 5th graders are slightly more likely to know it than adults, since it's trivially unimportant and involves our government, and that's what we try to fill our kids' heads with over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know about history specifically the founding of the US, knowing Alexander Hamilton isn't that hard.

If they were to ask who the current secretary of treasury is, I would think that it much more challenging of a question, as ironic as that might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that this would probably help, as well; his name must be on the Declaration of Independence, for example. Still, I'd bet that 8/10 random US adults would get this wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to nitpick, but he didn't sign it. alexander hamilton was in college when it was signed.

but i agree that the average american wouldn't know the answer. the average american is dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb? Do you really think the mean intelligence of 'people who know this answer' is significantly higher than 'people who don't?' The average American may be dumb, but this has almost nothing to do with that.

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't have know this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
auggie,

winning 200K in one day classifies you as a donk now? Granted, many do win that kind of money w/out a lot of skill but that is the exception not the rule. Jealous much?

[/ QUOTE ]

why is everyone such a nerd? me calling someone else a donk is like gay lovers calling each other f@g or black people calling each other n!gg@
Old 04-21-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dumb? Do you really think the mean intelligence of 'people who know this answer' is significantly higher than 'people who don't?' The average American may be dumb, but this has almost nothing to do with that.

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't have know this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was making a general statement about the average american.

but to answer your question, yea the average intelligence of someone who knows the answer to that question is a lot higher than the average that don't.

it's a small educated population versus a large general population
Old 04-21-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi pyedog,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL just shows my ignorance. I definitely wondered if that statement was obviously retarded to anyone who knew any historical dates, etc. I really just meant that as an example of some other piece of info that would make the question easier.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Yes, the average American is dumb. And the scary thing is, half of them are even dumber than that.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:40 AM

Alex co hosted an episode of L@TB with me on 3/7. For those of you who are subscribers here is the link http://www.pokernetcast.com/archives...archive_id=497
Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 AM

I knew it was alexander hamilton, i knew minoring in history can really pay off
Old 04-21-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the average American is dumb. And the scary thing is, half of them are even dumber than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, but not necessarily.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi pyedog,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty easy question if you know much about American history. Alexander Hamilton was an advocate of a strong federal government and a central banking system, and a highly respected "founding father" Thomas Jefferson was Secretary of State in George Washington's cabinet. Hamilton was the leader of the faction that became the Federalist party and Jefferson the leader of teh faction the became the Democratic Republican and later Democratic party.

Hamilton was illegitimate and grew up middle class in the west indies. He was married into New York Dutch aristocracy and was a successful businessman with his political and business careers helping each other. He could not be elected President because he was not born in the US.

He was killed in a duel with Vice President Aaron Burr. Burr was the leading Democratic Republican in New York and Hamilton the leading Federalist. Burr has a shady reputation, which killing the respected Hamilton intensified.

Hamilton Wikipedia entry