Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Help going on a massive heater

Just off the top of my head, you're probably going to want to start with numbers. Whatever your VP$IP is, you're going to want to make it a lot higher, maybe more than double what it already is. Your PFR, also much much higher, I mean, you gotta build big pots to win big pots.

More important then that though, you gotta move up. Large pots in terms of BB's are good and all (and something you're going to have with your new numbers) but it's the big pots in terms of monies that you really want.

Ex. You're talking to your friends, and tell them "Guys, I won a HUGE 40BB pot last night!" Then they ask "what limit?" You shamefully tell them .5/1 and they probably quit being your friend. On the other hand, if you tell them that pot was at 100/200 they'll probably get their girlfriends to blow you.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker. Play perfect poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Augie, I appreciate your suggestion but I don't think it will help all that much. See, I've mastered all types of poker and always play perfectly. My problem is that I'm not able to force myself to go on a massive rush.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM

Pre-flop: This part is easy, start with big pairs, JJ+. It's fine to throw in a few suited broadways to mix things up, but for the most part just keep getting dealt the premium pairs.

Post-flop: This is where a lot of heater experts disagree. Some of them want to stay in the lead all hand, every hand and simply squeeze value out of strong second besters and draws that miss. Others say to really pile up the value you must allow other players to temporarily make better hands. This technique is called "drafting" after the racing tactic.

Drafting is riskier but ultimately more rewarding. You must have strong re-sucking skills to make this work. Most agree that your CapWhileBhnd should be somewhere between .75 and .85 and your MiracleRvr should be 90 and up before attempting a Drafting-based rush.

A good mnemonic is Forget Toiletpaper? Tree Bark Refreshes Quickly (Flop Trips, Turn Boats, River Quads)

Also, you never want to be too predictable so I would toss in a few bluffs that don't get called purely for metagame purposes.

/mc
Old 01-20-2006, 03:10 PM

Thanks Monty, a lot of good stuff there for me to try.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use the force

[/ QUOTE ]

stretch out your feelings
Old 01-20-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried cock-pushups?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only do one.

[/ QUOTE ]

See a doctor. They have drugs for these things.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:48 PM

i find it helps to flop mosters out of the blinds with total turd hands. for example, if you have J3o in the BB, it is good to flop 33J and have the flush get there on the turn. practice this.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Don't forget to have 23o hit the FH on the turn as well.

-Diplomat
Old 01-20-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Monty, a lot of good stuff there for me to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my advice can help just one single poker player go on a massive, ball-draining mega-rush for thousands and thousands of big bets that inspires him to take a wild shot at super high limits and TOTALLY CRUSH them in a frenzy of record-breaking, edge-case, positive results that rocket upwards in a vertiginous spiral of confidence- and cocaine-feuled expert play matched to the kind of face-destroying, odds-defying, nit-demanding-NEW SET UP!-causing, epic run of good cards that seems to go on forever and ends up revolutionizing not only the player's bankroll and poker game but also their actual life, giving them a profound sense of accomplishment and maybe even a brief glimpse into the transcendent machinery of infinite truth that lies behind the petty, pitiful, practical understanding of randomness we call "variance", then the work I've done constructing this incredibly long sentence will not have been in vain.

/mc
Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Hit very unlikely draws.

You will win HUGE.

e.g.
$100/$200 6max
URDreamin Network

Hero has 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG

Hero raises, MP re-raises, Button caps, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls
Everyone else folds

Flop
5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero raises, MP re-raises, Button caps, BB calls
Hero calls, MP calls

Turn
5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, MP calls

River
8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero calls, MP calls

Results:
Hero: straight flush
MP has: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (you have to have opponents who can't fold a flush, or a flush draw, on a paired board). A high flush.
Button has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A full of 5s.
BB has Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (??? wtf ???)

That's $2400 minus rake in one hand.

I'm telling just hit your 1 outers on the river and you'll be on a mega heater...