Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Default $5/10 NL hand

Sorry but I still havn't figured out how to use hand converters. I'll bold the key parts to try to make it a bit easier to read....

Full Tilt Poker Game #4290690760: Table Jewel Springs - $5/$10 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 7:13:42 ET - 2007/11/25
Seat 1: Assani Fisher ($1,308.55)
Seat 2: fightingchicken ($950)
Seat 3: maddog8 ($1,047)
Seat 4: SwingRoll ($390)
Seat 5: desgrippes ($1,456.75)
Seat 6: CameoCandy ($801)
Seat 7: shoe44 ($315)
Seat 8: justnutzzz ($1,322.25), is sitting out
Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop ($1,739.55)
HipHopNDontStop posts the small blind of $5
Assani Fisher posts the big blind of $10
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Assani Fisher [2s Qc 9s Ac]
fightingchicken has 15 seconds left to act
fightingchicken calls $10
maddog8 folds
SwingRoll calls $10
desgrippes calls $10
CameoCandy has 15 seconds left to act
CameoCandy raises to $65
shoe44 folds
HipHopNDontStop folds
Assani Fisher calls $55
fightingchicken calls $55
SwingRoll has 15 seconds left to act
SwingRoll calls $55
desgrippes calls $55
*** FLOP *** [Qs 5s 2c]

Ok, so we have $325 in the pot, 5 players, I have top and bottom pair and a bad flush draw with no low draw, I'm first to act. Whats your play?

Assani Fisher checks
fightingchicken has 15 seconds left to act
fightingchicken checks
SwingRoll checks
desgrippes checks
CameoCandy bets $140

Small bet could be a lot of things. He was last to act and could've seen the turn for free. Three guys left to act behind me. Whats your play?

Results in white(please comment before seeing results though):

<font color="white"> Assani Fisher has 15 seconds left to act
Assani Fisher has requested TIME
Assani Fisher calls $140
justnutzzz has returned
fightingchicken folds
SwingRoll folds
desgrippes folds
*** TURN *** [Qs 5s 2c] [Th]
Assani Fisher bets $610
CameoCandy calls $596, and is all in
Assani Fisher shows [2s Qc 9s Ac]
CameoCandy shows [7h Ah 3c 7d]
Uncalled bet of $14 returned to Assani Fisher
*** RIVER *** [Qs 5s 2c Th] [Kc]
Assani Fisher shows two pair, Queens and Twos, for high
CameoCandy shows a pair of Sevens, for high
Assani Fisher wins the pot ($1,799) with two pair, Queens and Twos
CameoCandy is sitting out
No low hand qualified
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1,802 | Rake $3
Board: [Qs 5s 2c Th Kc]
Seat 1: Assani Fisher (big blind) showed [2s Qc 9s Ac] and won ($1,799) with HI: two pair, Queens and Twos
Seat 2: fightingchicken folded on the Flop
Seat 3: maddog8 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: SwingRoll folded on the Flop
Seat 5: desgrippes folded on the Flop
Seat 6: CameoCandy showed [7h Ah 3c 7d] and lost with HI: a pair of Sevens
Seat 7: shoe44 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: justnutzzz is sitting out
Seat 9: HipHopNDontStop (small blind) folded before the Flop
</font>

89,874 and counting
Old 11-25-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: $5/10 NL hand

I fold.. what card do you want to see on the turn besides a 2 or Q
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 AM

Obviously any 2 or Q works. I'm also thinking that any non spade 9,T,J,K is good for our hand. A non spade 7 or 8 puts us in the toughest spot. We're getting over 3-1 on our money.

89,872 and counting
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so we have $325 in the pot, 5 players, I have top and bottom pair and a bad flush draw with no low draw, I'm first to act. Whats your play?

[/ QUOTE ]Check/fold.

Hi Assani - Keep in mind that I am primarily a fixed limit player.

Your starting hand is not great, but it has several nice two-card combinations (call them features) and certainly is playable. However none of the strong features of your hand come into play on the flop. Most notably your nut low draw is immediately counterfeited, and the flop only has one club.

You do have top and bottom pair, but that is not a very good holding when the bottom pair is deuces. And as you write, the spade flush draw is poor.

Therefore you more or less completely missed a good fit this flop - and you are out of position. And this is a flop with which an opponent might easily have a good fit and it will be difficult for you to deduce how an opponent's hand fits with the board.

Checking and then folding if anyone behind you bets seems your best course of action.

Buzz
Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 PM

I'm assuming you have no reads on players here. I definitely fold to this flop bet. Surprised none of the three players behind you could continue. This is the kind of play that can easily lead you down a dark alley later in the session if you read into it at all. It's the kind of play when made that should lead you to think you were lucky to get away with it this once, and you won't tempt fate again... at least that's my experience. I get into the most trouble in spots like this, with my own personal demon being fopping two pair with A28b, flopping A2x, A8x, Abx, stuff like that just kills me.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 PM

Assani - I probably peel here for that price on THAT flop too. your turn bet is a tough bet, but i probably do the same if it's heads-up.

are you taking notes after hands like these?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Wow, this one is tough. However, I think you played it optimally, but by a very thin margin (flop fold is absolutely an alternative). I don't think you have to be afraid of neither top set or top two pair, as I figure he would have bet at least the pot in those cases. Neither do you usually have to fear A34 with a flush draw here, as that hand warrants at least a pot bet (although without reads you certainly can't discount the possibility entirely). The two spades in your hand are two cards less for villain to fill up a very possible nut flush draw. The biggest risk you are running by peeling one off is getting squeezed by a checkraising set or a big draw. If the 5 had been a 7 or 8 instead, continuing in this hand would feel much more comfortable, but as it is, I am still slightly leaning towards calling flop and pushing any high non spade turn (if it's headsup).
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM

You had 4 options:

1) Bet out.

If you bet out you can get raised and you dont know where you are at because the board is low and people would raise with a low draw plus a pair in this situation.

2) Call the bet.

If you call here you could be check raised because the board is an action board. There are 2 low cards and a flush draw. If you call you are also giving other people a great price for their draws and all you have is top and bottom. The only cards you would feel safe with on the turn would be a Q or 2. You are calling hoping to hit one of your 4 outs.

3) Check raise the bet.

Your hand is too weak to check raise. You could get trapped by a set or a low wrap or he could even have aces with the nut flush.

4) Fold.

This is probably the best option because your hand is too weak for all of the other options. There are also 3 people behind you.

You seem to run good though.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this one is tough. However, I think you played it optimally, but by a very thin margin (flop fold is absolutely an alternative). I don't think you have to be afraid of neither top set or top two pair, as I figure he would have bet at least the pot in those cases. Neither do you usually have to fear A34 with a flush draw here, as that hand warrants at least a pot bet (although without reads you certainly can't discount the possibility entirely). The two spades in your hand are two cards less for villain to fill up a very possible nut flush draw. The biggest risk you are running by peeling one off is getting squeezed by a checkraising set or a big draw. If the 5 had been a 7 or 8 instead, continuing in this hand would feel much more comfortable, but as it is, I am still slightly leaning towards calling flop and pushing any high non spade turn (if it's headsup).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think the issue is with just the bettor. It seems like the bettor is weak based on his bet, but the issue here is that there are 3 people who are yet to act behind him that are likely to have checked a monster hand because the bettor raised to 6.5 times the BB preflop and most players would figure the raiser was thinking of getting it all in on the flop.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Noone said Push. I like pushing in this spot...