Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 07:14 AM

Default This\'ll piss off WSOP dealers

<font color="red"> Warning!! </font> This is only a rumor!

As many may have heard by now. The winner of the WSOP ME was supposedly interviewed by ESPN and stated prior to the FT he would give 1 million dollars as a tip for the dealers PLUS 1 Mill for the floor staff if he won the event.

The latest un-confirmed rumor has it that Johnny Chan (JG's poker coach) had 10% of his action and put a squash on that idea. Hence no toke whatsoever.

What would have been interesting also, is that had he left these tokes, would Harrah's actually dispurse the "floor mans" tips. Since it was against company policy for them to recieve tip. Any that they were given had to be dropped into the dealer toke boxes.

Would it be surprising if Chan actually did put the squash on this? Not really. He is known as the biggest stiff in the big game. I guess he just doesnt remember having been a dealer at the old Silver Slipper in LV.

Even more interesting is IF JG did in fact make this statement to ESPN. Would they edit that out if he didnt leave the tip? He is afterall in the TV/Movie business. Would ESPN "take care of their own"?

Guess we wont know anything for sure till Aug 17th when they all get paid.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Re: This\'ll piss off WSOP dealers

[ QUOTE ]

As many may have heard by now. The winner of the WSOP ME was supposedly interviewed by ESPN and stated prior to the FT he would give 1 million dollars as a tip for the dealers PLUS 1 Mill for the floor staff if he won the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone substantiate this part of the rumor? If not, the second part is worthless, but if so this could either be a public relations nightmare or the soul reason Harrahs gets dealers in 2007. All of the dealers I knew going into the event quit the week of the main event, the just couldn't take it anymore.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 AM

a $2 million tip? that's 17%. that seems pretty unlikely.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a $2 million tip? that's 17%. that seems pretty unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that seems very likley on an life changing windfall. There are a lot of people out there there toke generously when they can afford too.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This'll piss off WSOP dealers

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-13-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone substantiate this part of the rumor? If not, the second part is worthless, but if so this could either be a public relations nightmare or the soul reason Harrahs gets dealers in 2007. All of the dealers I knew going into the event quit the week of the main event, the just couldn't take it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will get dealers next year also. I am sur ethere were a bunch of dealers that went there this year that didn't know what dealing the WSOP was like, they will be replaced by more next year. Also there is a subset of dealers that will deal the touranmnets no matter what because they can't hold down a regular dealing job (can't pass drug test, can't stay sober enough to come to work, or just can't get alng with people).
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will get dealers next year also. I am sur ethere were a bunch of dealers that went there this year that didn't know what dealing the WSOP was like, they will be replaced by more next year. Also there is a subset of dealers that will deal the touranmnets no matter what because they can't hold down a regular dealing job (can't pass drug test, can't stay sober enough to come to work, or just can't get alng with people).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they will get dealers, but there were quite a number of veteran dealers there who basically said that with the 50% reduction in pay it was no longer worthwhile for them to come out for this. They are going to lose the veteran dealers who have other jobs and take a LOA each year to come out here.

And if anyone puts up a serious bid to compete with the WSOP the loss will be greater.

I heard that Harrah's wanted to drug test all the dealers this year, but some of the more experienced suits were able to cconvince them that they would never be able to staff the tournament if they did that. (We were banished from the employee parking lot after several dealers were caught smoking a joint in their car)
Old 08-13-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are going to lose the veteran dealers who have other jobs and take a LOA each year to come out here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but for the most part Harrah's doesn't see the value of having these anyway. A quote from a poker manager at a Harrah's property "We can teach anyone to deal, the most important thing is that they smile."

edit to add: In Oct 2003 and Jan 2004 I was involved with poker tournaments that hired temp dealers. They were the absolute worst dealers I have seen, a big part of this is that HR insisted on drug testing them and that weeded out most of the experienced dealers.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but for the most part Harrah's doesn't see the value of having these anyway. A quote from a poker manager at a Harrah's property "We can teach anyone to deal, the most important thing is that they smile."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this applies much more to the regular employees of the cardrooms. And quite honestly it is true for most low limit cardrooms. You have new players walking in everyday who don't care if the dealer is technically proficient, and don't want a dealer to shut up and deal, they want a dealer to tell jokes and stories like out at the blackjack table. Sure they will notice if a dealer exposes to many cards or burns and turns early too many times, but they won't notice that the dealer isn't controlling the flow of the game, that the dealer is accidentaly exposing the burn cards, rolling the deck exposing mucked cards and not getting out a reasonable number of hands.

But at the WSOP the players tend to be a bit more demanding. And I tend to think that on some level someone at Harrah's realizes that they need experienced dealers even if they haven't a clue how to retain them.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Lets see a guy that intimates that he'd rather fininsh second than first because he didn't want the publicity, then posts his win on his company web site within hours said one thing and then did another ?!?!?!? I'm stunned.... Look at this from a practical point of view... His (and our) Uncle Sam will take about 30% (thats 3 Million off the top) Then he's going to give 2 Million in tips, Johnny Chan gets 10% thats another Mill dough.... so of his 10, 5 would already spoken for ?!?!??!?! I dont think so.... .. of course he did toss 50k into the audience (did it ever comeback ?!??!?)

So I doubt there will be any 2 Million dollar tip ....