Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Chicago Low Limit Players

I have been playing at the Majestic Star for the last few months a few days a month at the ever popular 3-6 limit stakes. I was contemplating making a switch to Resorts 5-10 Game, however have heard that the game can be a bit over aggressive/crazy from complaining limit players @ the Majestic. What is the truth, to be honest I generally find the Majestic to be pretty soft, but would be happy to move up to an equally as soft 5-10 game. Plus I have heard the room is pretty run down, is this true?
Old 08-18-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Chicago Low Limit Players

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing at the Majestic Star for the last few months a few days a month at the ever popular 3-6 limit stakes. I was contemplating making a switch to Resorts 5-10 Game, however have heard that the game can be a bit over aggressive/crazy from complaining limit players @ the Majestic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Limit players at the Majestic Star II (myself included) are all nits and retards. Anything almost anyone says there should be disregarded or laughed at openly.

Seriously, I crush the $3/$6 and $6/$12 at the Majestic Star DEUCE and the $5/$10 at Resorts. And I'm not very good. No, really, I'm not. Just try out Resorts and see what you like better. Mrs. Lossage is just boycotting Resorts because they started charging $1 for a bottle of water, and the brush was behaving like a jerk the last couple of times she was there.

And where Mrs. Lossage (doesn't) go, I (don't) go.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus I have heard the room is pretty run down, is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. Resorts is more cramped than Majestic Star, but the chips are a little less grungy and it doesn't have that crazy smell of cleaning chemicals (?). Each has its adherents.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I am going to give it a try, I thought the play might be very similar since it is the "lowest" limit and if I was out giving poker a try and did not know better I would find myself there. And you are very right about the players at the MS2, I have played there enough to know a few of them, usually about average 2 at the tables when I sit down and they come in 2 types so far. Crazy tight rocks, and mooks who will raise on the river with A high and no kicker. Say hey if you see me there, I am the guy with the Florida Gator bucket hat on. I have found that I get a lot more callers the more stupid my hat looks.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 AM

I've generally found that 5/10 game to be pretty soft. The players tend to be predictable and not very good. I don't find Resorts rundown so much as I find it claustrophobic; the tables are just so close together.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:25 AM

What is the poker room rate for the hotel these day? Rake? I used to weekend trek out there and stay at 'Trumps' for $39, but the games arent any different then Detroit games. I heard they upped the rate, so I dont go anymore.

-J
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say hey if you see me there, I am the guy with the Florida Gator bucket hat on. I have found that I get a lot more callers the more stupid my hat looks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha! Will do. I'm an extremely generic-looking 30-ish white guy, so I'll have to find you. I'm going to try and sneak out this weekend some time, but the Magic 8-Ball says that Signs Point to No.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rake?

[/ QUOTE ]
Once upon a time, I wrote a bunch of the PokerWiki entry on Resorts East Chicago, and I think the rake information has been kept accurate. I have no clue on the hotel rates.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Resorts' rooms are $49 Mon-Thurs and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Most days, the limit games their are very soft.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Losage and Sheridancat--

Thanks for the advice, the 5-10 @ Resorts is an interesting combination of extreme overaggression and passivity withuot any of the annoying advice that I used to get @ MS2. Plus I had the bonus of multiple people trying to raise me out of pots when I obviously had the nuts. Also, I do think the room is overall much nicer, except I did feel like a sardine all night.