Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Default wireless keyboard & mouse

I have a wireless mouse for my laptop. I am thinking of buying a wireless keyboard/mouse combo - the one by Logitech that you see in the window at Radio Shack.

It uses this black device that looks like a bike ramp with three lights in it to connect. What is this device called?

Anyway, I don't like the way it looks. My wireless mouse just uses a little stick that plugs into the USB port. Is there a wireless keyboard that I can buy that just uses the little USB stick only? In order to go to a wireless keyboard, do I needed to use the other device?

Thanks. Sorry if the explanation is a little unclear. I hope you can understand what I'm talking about.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: wireless keyboard & mouse

From the sounds of it that "bike ramp" is a wireless mouse charger and it should only use 1 USB port for both the mouse and keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordl.../dp/B000095ISG
[ QUOTE ]

The price alone for both products (and only having to deal with one cordless transmitter and losing only one USB port) is reason enough to buy them together instead of separately.

[/ QUOTE ]
from the customer reviews.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the link. Here is a quote from the second review:

"Second, the base station needs to be placed at least 8" away from other electronic devices, yet it comes with a very short 4-5' cord. With a full tower case on the floor on one side of the desk, this severely limits placement (Logitech suggests AGAINST using a hub, like in some monitors, a switchbox, or an extension cord). When I move in a few months, I'm going to need to design my new computer layout based on the limitations of the Cordless MX Duo base station's short cord!"

So, it appears to be called a "base station" and the complaint this reviewer is describing is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! I like the flexibility of my wireless mouse but it sounds like I can't get the same for a keyboard. True?

[ QUOTE ]
From the sounds of it that "bike ramp" is a wireless mouse charger and it should only use 1 USB port for both the mouse and keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordl.../dp/B000095ISG
[ QUOTE ]

The price alone for both products (and only having to deal with one cordless transmitter and losing only one USB port) is reason enough to buy them together instead of separately.

[/ QUOTE ]
from the customer reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 PM

If you run a Mac you could go blue tooth and have nothing hanging out of your computer. Likewise if your Windows box has blue tooth built in. The base station set up isn't that big a deal, the cords on the MS ones I have appear to be about as long as the cords on most mice or wired keyboards I've used.