Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 5-6 year old soccer play--- bad form or good plan?

Well you just got me to look up Capri Sun
Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stagger, reno, and others:

Try this technique. Any kid who scores gets an extra Capri Sun. Any kid who doesn't follow instructions gets to sit on the sidelines and watch and gets no oranges or Capri Sun. You'll have a team of winners in no time flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sucks. If you had kids you'd probably be one of those a-hole parents yelling at the refs during games.

I'm a parent, and I've coached soccer, little league baseball and basketball to ages 6-12, in both competitive and non-competitive leagues. By and large the competitive leagues sucked. Little league was horrific! A-hole coaches, a-hole parents.. the kids just wanted to play ball and have fun, but too many parents were trying their best to ruin the experiences for everyone.

Young children don't need to learn they are "losers" at this age. There will be plenty of opportunities soon enuf for the kids to learn that life sucks. There are lots of positive experiences to be had from a non-competitive sports league... It doesn't always have to be about winning is the only thing that matters and the losers don't get snacks.

Stay single Diablo.

BB
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stagger, reno, and others:

Try this technique. Any kid who scores gets an extra Capri Sun. Any kid who doesn't follow instructions gets to sit on the sidelines and watch and gets no oranges or Capri Sun. You'll have a team of winners in no time flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sucks. If you had kids you'd probably be one of those a-hole parents yelling at the refs during games.

I'm a parent, and I've coached soccer, little league baseball and basketball to ages 6-12, in both competitive and non-competitive leagues. By and large the competitive leagues sucked. Little league was horrific! A-hole coaches, a-hole parents.. the kids just wanted to play ball and have fun, but too many parents were trying their best to ruin the experiences for everyone.

Young children don't need to learn they are "losers" at this age. There will be plenty of opportunities soon enuf for the kids to learn that life sucks. There are lots of positive experiences to be had from a non-competitive sports league... It doesn't always have to be about winning is the only thing that matters and the losers don't get snacks.

Stay single Diablo.

BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there homey. I suspect Diablo was kidding. Come on, he's talking about Capri Suns.

Anyway, when do you think kids should learn how to cope with loss? You say "young children don't need to learn they are "losers" at this age," because "there will be plenty of opportunities soon enuf." If this is the case, shouldn't they especially be prepared to handle it when they're young, when things don't really count?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM

As the son of a former head referee for the local rec league and also reffing a couple seasons myself, hearing the crowd yell for "offsides" all the time is the absolute worst thing to have to deal with.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As the son of a former head referee for the local rec league and also reffing a couple seasons myself, hearing the crowd yell for "offsides" all the time is the absolute worst thing to have to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]most people in the US don't even understand the offside rule. Even those people who have kids playing the game. Me personally, I didn't really understand it until I started to regularly watch soccer on TV.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 PM

i coach 4-5-6 youth soccer. in fact, we just had a game tonight. we play 3 on 3 on a small field. obv no offsides. really, there aren't many rules at all. the ref (12 year old) basically only blows whistle when the ball goes oob or over the end line.

there are usually about 25 goals in a 40 minute game. i have never seen a 2-0 game at this level. scores are not officially kept. everybody gets a trophy at the end.

the only kids that keep score in their heads or get upset when they "lose" have very loud/competitive fathers.

i'd say on about 80% of the teams, the best player is a girl