Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Re: The future of limit poker

I hope you're right
Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 PM

After doing well at all limits up to and including 3/6, I kinda hit a brick wall at 5/10.. Now that sucks for me cuz I planned on moving up steadily, and although I feel like I'm a winner at 5/10 SH, I can't deal with the stress and misfortune I've experienced so far in that game.. So 2 weeks ago I decided it was time to try NL.. I bought a cardrunners membership, and have been reading Super System and Phil Gordon's Little Green Book.. I crushed 25NL and 50NL over a small sample, moved up to 100NL and am currently up 10 buyins so far this month.. I really like no-limit so far.. In limit, I loved the feeling of pullin' the old sexy on someone.. Or bluffing them out of a pot with a worse hand.. Well now it's just like a million times more fun cuz I can checkraise fools ALL IN.. OMGZ.. The handreading and shorthanded skills I've developed through limit have definitely been transferable to NL so far..

Really, you can make more nowadays as a solid 1/2 NL player than a solid 5/10 player.. The variance is much lower, and if you can build a bankroll and move up, there is ALOT of money to be made at even higher limits.. I had always wondered where the hell LHE fish come from anyways. Everyone I know who plays poker in real life only knows NL.. They hear that I play limit and they're all like, "WTF, you can't go all-in?".. And really, after some rich idiot watches poker on TV, do you think he's gonna sit down in a limit game or a NL game? Obviously NL is the future cuz it caters to a gambler's needs.. The fear and excitement of making a big bluff or putting someone/being put all-in is exactly what gets the heart racing. I just don't understand how you could all say it is "boring" and that you "hate it".. We are poker players and should be seeking the most profitable games available to us - IMO the reluctancy to learn a more profitable game is just pure stubborness - if 2 or 3 tables of NL seems boring, get another monitor.. Playing 4 tables of limit was always pushing it for me, but with NL I think I could easily play 6 or more. Anyways, if you play for enjoyment and a little extra cash, then go ahead and stick to limit.. If you're looking to make some real money and you don't completely enjoy being a victim of the variance in 6max lhe, then I think the choice is clear.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

I probably agree with Moss. However limit, especailly 6max, has a lot of action and a lot of hand reading, which makes it stimulating at an intellectual level. You can also pull some pretty decent money with rakeback but it would be extremely difficult to make the kind of money that NL players make. Both games have stresses in a different way. Personally I now play mostly MTTs because they suit my game best but I have love for both limit and NL. Limit cash games are more exciting because you can play more hands as well.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 PM

I started playing poker seriously before the poker boom. THis means that limit hold'em is naturally my best game. ABout two years ago I switched to stt's and had a fair amount of succes and taught me to play no limit at a competant level. I switched back to cash back in Aril or May and have found cash limit to be perfect for my ADD.

As far as no limit cash goes I siply cannot play it, it is way way to boring for me. STT's blind structure aloud me to play in a manner that was profitable but deep stack cash no way. It seriously the opposite of fun and I dont know if I could ever do it.

I need to play hands so I need to play in games where I can get away with it. I really hope limit doesnt die because that would really suck.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM

I know I have to make the transfer to NL because I'm convinced that you have to play No-Limit during some day hours to have enough good tables to select from.But it is boring and you can't ignore that fact. Making money is important but making 45 dollars an hour at 3/6 SHLimit three tabling with a good rakeback deal isn't that difficult
so I would rather play SH limit if I knew it was there forever.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Great topic guys! I am looking at transferring to NL cash here, doing some reading etc. I am just wondering if you guys think the higher winrate at the lower levels I'd have to start off playing is a good tradeoff to the rakeback and possible bonii that you could be clearing.

Of course if a player gets good enough, he could play at levels where rakeback and bonii will clear decently as well, but I wouldn't think it would be suggested to start your NL foray at these limits?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:59 PM

I started playing NL because that's where the big money is.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing NL because that's where the big money is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all makes me want to shed a tear, for if all of us leave limit poker, it will become extinct. And I love limit poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This all makes me want to shed a tear, for if all of us leave limit poker, it will become less filled with TAGs, so VickreyAuction can beat up on all the fish. Ca-ching!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 PM

I hate all the folding maybe because it reminds me of my weak tight days.