Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

Willingham should not be fired, nor should Croom (Beating Bama at home would not be a major surprise, by the way. That game will be a tossup.) The Callahan situation is pretty amazing. How do you [censored] up that bad at a traditional power? I'm also amazed at how bad Pitt is this year. I thought they were recruiting at a pretty high level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regrettably for Husky fans, Ty will probably get at least one more year.

Wanny has done quite well on the recruiting trail, as he's plucked away lots of top talent from W. PA that would otherwise end up in JoePa's hands. His game day abilities and skill with developing players is what's being questioned now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your hopes up on Willingham being fired. You are stuck with Weis, so don't get too excited at being able to hire a good coach like Willingham back at Notre Dame.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM

If Miss St. should somehow get bowl eligible this year (remaining games against @WVa, @Kentucky, Ala, @Ark, Ole Miss) I don't think Croom is going anywhere. That would be a substantial step in the right direction compared to where that program has been.

As for Callahan, if the home fans are leaving before halftime against OK St, I think it's pretty clear what the boosters think.

Fran. lol.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

Willingham should not be fired, nor should Croom (Beating Bama at home would not be a major surprise, by the way. That game will be a tossup.) The Callahan situation is pretty amazing. How do you [censored] up that bad at a traditional power? I'm also amazed at how bad Pitt is this year. I thought they were recruiting at a pretty high level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanny has done quite well on the recruiting trail, as he's plucked away lots of top talent from W. PA that would otherwise end up in JoePa's hands. His game day abilities and skill with developing players is what's being questioned now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your hopes up on Willingham being fired. You are stuck with Weis, so don't get too excited at being able to hire a good coach like Willingham back at Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at the defense that TW gets around this board. His final two recruiting classes are the reason ND had the fewest returning lettermen in Div 1A. His last two classes he only recruited three (3) offensive linemen, only one of whom is starting.

The Ty Willingham Fact Sheet

If Ty were allowed another year at ND, the damage done would have rendered the program irrelevant for at least the next decade.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at the defense that TW gets around this board. His final two recruiting classes are the reason ND had the fewest returning lettermen in Div 1A. His last two classes he only recruited three (3) offensive linemen, only one of whom is starting.

The Ty Willingham Fact Sheet

If Ty were allowed another year at ND, the damage done would have rendered the program irrelevant for at least the next decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's that great of a coach, just better than Charlie Weis. It's hard to think of a coach who is much worse than him though.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's that great of a coach, just better than Charlie Weis. It's hard to think of a coach who is much worse than him though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't dispute that CW has made mistakes this year (focusing more on scheme than football fundamentals with a young team, including the disasterous spread offense experiment vs. GA Tech in Game 1) but the success he enjoyed in the first 2 years w/a relatively veteran team + two Top 10 recruiting classes (with the '08 group currently ranked #1 in the country) have earned him a mulligan for the ugly moments this year.

Anyone who would (genuinely) rather have Willingham instead of Weis as their H.C. needs to have their head examined. Seriously.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM

The biggest mistake Weis made was throwing Clausen to the wolves like he did. The correct decision would have been to start Sharpley, be competitive as possible for the first 7-8 games, and then let Clausen start the cupcakes at the end of the season to build confidence and so on.

I blame this entirely on ego and lack of experience as a head coach.

With that being said, Weis gets killed way too much, and Willingham gets defended way too much. And the truth for both probably lies in the middle.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM

Croom isn't going anywhere, winning at Auburn earlier this year was enough to get some heat off him. And although they aren't winning alot they are playing much better than they have in the past couple of years.

Nutt is in major trouble. No matter how much success he manages over there he seems to always find a way to hit rock bottom again very quickly.

As for the rest of the country, Wannestedt has done nothing at Pitt. No reason they should not be one of hte better teams in the Big East and they suck.

Franchione is also gonna get the axe at the end of this year. A&M plays one of the most laughable non-conference schedules every year for cheap wins and gets blown out most of the time by anyone decent they play. He was in trouble before and after the secret booster emails for cash thing was uncovered he's a dead man walking.

Lloyd Carr will most likely "retire" assuming Michigan doesn't come back to win the Big 10.

Also, HUDGE lol's at all the ND fans still obsessing over Willingham and worshipping Weis. You got scammed/duped big time, gonna have to deal with that fact. Weis is nothing special and perhaps even bad.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest mistake Weis made was throwing Clausen to the wolves like he did. The correct decision would have been to start Sharpley, be competitive as possible for the first 7-8 games, and then let Clausen start the cupcakes at the end of the season to build confidence and so on.

I blame this entirely on ego and lack of experience as a head coach.

With that being said, Weis gets killed way too much, and Willingham gets defended way too much. And the truth for both probably lies in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

CW has repeatedly said that Clausen looks the best in practice and whoever performs at the highest level there wins the starting spot. However, Sharpley has outperformed Clausen in the action he's seen this year. Given that Game performance >>>> Practice performance, I'd like to see Sharpley get the start this weekend vs. USC.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really is a crying [censored] shame that Chan Gailey keeps pulling off enough random wins every year to not make this list.

It tilts the everliving [censored] out of me. STOP WINNING GAMES LIKE AT AUBURN AND AT #3 MIAMI AND THEN LOSING AT VIRGINIA, OR AT DUKE, OR HOME VERSUS NC STATE YOU GODDAMN BUM

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Let Gailey recruit but have no influence on in game decisions. He completely botched the end of the Maryland game, and this team is too good to lose to stupid virginia.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Echoing polkaface:

Phil Bennett of SMU is on his way out. 1-5 with the one win over North Texas. For Bennett to stay, SMU must win out. I would like to think 6-6 will not save his job again.

PB's record at SMU is 17-42 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]