Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Nut FH on river facing min 3bet

Villian is a thinking player. Been playing mostly HU for over an hour and we've been pretty evenly matched. He hasn't gotten out of line, and neither have I. This spot confused me, can I just go broke here or should I flat call?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($118.80)
Hero ($124.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($12) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $62</font>, Hero???

he has half his stack in the pot after, he MIN raises my pot size raise on the river. How bad is a call here instead of a 4bet?

Final Pot: $136
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Nut FH on river facing min 3bet

seriously?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 AM

sadly, yes.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 AM

If you play in such a way that you minimize your losses when he holds quads, you lose a ton of value when he has a lower full house, which after all is substantially more likely. If it's ever possible not to go broke against quads with the big boat, heads up for 120BB is not the time.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 AM

Last time I saw this go down, I was in Villians position and got paid off with Quads. My opponent typed, "I said to myself he has to have pocket 9s (or Ts in this case) but I hit the AI button anyway.

If you are sure of your read, fold, but it is almost like folding Ks to As in Holdem. When you look at the odds, it is probably correct to pay off quads.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I saw this go down, I was in Villians position and got paid off with Quads. My opponent typed, "I said to myself he has to have pocket 9s (or Ts in this case) but I hit the AI button anyway.

If you are sure of your read, fold, but it is almost like folding Ks to As in Holdem. When you look at the odds, it is probably correct to pay off quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i dont think folding was ever considered... its either call or move in.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM

No way I was folding this.

My reads were based on this player and the flow of the game. Neither one of us was getting out of line and on several occasions, he would continue to bet improved hands on the turn i.e. Bets pair + FD on flop and continues to fire on turn when flush came, same with trips when he turned a FH, he would continue to build a pot. Also, when the board pairs, he KNOWS I have a FH when I pot raise his river bet.

So because of those two options, I didn't think he would pay off 666 or 777 even if i 4bet AI. I also didn't think he would have those hands or T6/T7 because he typically wouldn't slow down when he hit a FH, he would want to value bet two streets. Also, with T6 he would just close out the reraise with a call on the river and not min raise.

He aslo min raised the river which scared me after he checked the turn and I thought he logically could have TT. The only other hand I can see him playing this way and paying off would be some combo of QTXX where he only turned trips on a possible straight/FH board with a weak kicker. But given I have QQ, its far to hard for me to put him on something like those and "hope" he has that hand.

So that was my reasoning, bad?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM

well theres two ways he can have QT and only one way he can have TT, right?

Personally I would probably just call a tight/good player and allin a weak/loose.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 AM

i see people make this bet with 89.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see people make this bet with 89.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but would they still call your final push? And even if they would, does this sound like the villain described in this thread?