Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

damn nappy headed fake troopers
Old 04-16-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, we were sitting there playing and the guy running the games announced “the police are here”.
They cut up the pants on everyone and took all their cash.
So they found all the money, probably in the neighborhood of 50-60K. Then just like that they all ran out the back door. All that was left was a group of tied up poker players with all their money gone and pants cut up. Pretty humiliating actually.
They were all broke but unharmed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of surprised you continued the story in the third person.
What happened to you? What about your pants? What about your money? How much money did you take to the game. How much of it did you lose?
left out of quote: You didn't say anything about valuables other than cash. What about credit cards, walllets, watches, and jewelry? After all, you say everyone was tied up and their pockets were cut open. They must have rifled through the wallets, otherwise how could they have taken "all their cash."
Seems like this story would have included details such as how much you were up or down in the game, and how many chips of yours went uncashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

LOL. This genius wants a trip report. Any memorable hands? Bad beats? How were the sandwiches?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've misread me. I didn't have any reason to doubt his story, but one thing seemed odd to me.

It was that he started off telling a story in the first person, saying "we were sitting there," and "I did" this," but continuing later in the third person, referring to the group without explicitly including himself in the group, at least by saying us or we or our. He brought up and discussed the possibility of it being an inside job, but never said that he lost anything personally.

Also, if the robbers "took all their cash," what about their credit cards or anything else that could help locate and identify the robbers? Only in a later post from another poster did we learn there was an aggreement not to discuss the robbery. So what do you tell your credit card companies, "I got robbed at gunpoint, but I can't tell you anything else about it," or do X number of guys the next day close 3X credit card and debit card accounts all saying they lost their wallets? Plus, just think of all those ATM cards, various licenses, insurance cards and all the other stuff in a wallet that could be lost.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM

I have been assured that all money will be repaid to all players in the club that night. I can't see how the manager would rob the club just to give all the money back.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Based on OP alone, I'd say this was 90% fake. After people have backed it, though, I guess it's not. But I agree that the OP was phrased in a suspect manner.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on OP alone, I'd say this was 90% fake. After people have backed it, though, I guess it's not. But I agree that the OP was phrased in a suspect manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a 100% real , and im 100% sure i crapped my pants
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM

It was 100% real, I suck at writing sorry. Only cash was taken, maybe a few wallets in haste to get the cash quickly .

I am 100% convinced now that managment had nothing to do with it. dcb777 and BK1248 are 100% right about the credability of managment. Of course there was a player(s) in that game who set this up. So F* him. We disagree about posting this and they probably hate me for being anonymous but that's my choice and I feel that others could benefit from this info. But I've spoken my piece on this.

Certainly there are risks but I think moving forward a lot of valuable lessons are learned and this game will be much safer. Hopefully other games figure this out as well and think through some emergency procedures instead of "oh F*** what do we do now". Also I think that inside jobs are still going to happen and it's good to be able to recognize signs that it might be an inside job. Now, it is clear this wasn't an inside job and is run by a standup guy who in a split second made a decision many of us would have done exactly the same thing. So easy to pass judgement and call him an idiot after the fact. I think the only thing he could have done was think about all those situations in advance and come up with a plan and instructions for staff. If you run a game where you rake money, I think you should think about this as well if you haven't already.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that the biggest danger when playing in these clubs is not the police but a robbery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at an legally established poker room and of course have met so many who play in private games. I have also helped run a monthly tournament game with about 30-40 players in the past, so integrity and security was always an issue not to be taken lightly.

It pays to be careful, that is, know the people who play and as new people come into the game ask questions. Ours was a very friendly and fun (low buy-ins) game, but we were always cautious b/c you just never know.

More recently other players I have met, and who run house games, have told me of gangs in/around that stalk these games and wait for people to leave and then rob them at knife/gunpoint taking cell phones, everything. There have been several area games that become public knowledge and become targets as easy money.

As far as police raids...IMO...Police need better things to do than raid poker games - use your voting power to keep the police force to a minimum when they begin harrassing people in this and other inocuous ways. Our local police department wanted to hire another officer and we used the fact that they are no longer protecting, but harrassing people as an argument against the hire. It worked - no added harrassment force. I have nothing against hard-working cops and appreciate what they do, but I do not like citizens being treated like common criminals for doings things like making a roll stop at an intersection without a car in sight during the middle of the night [happened to a friend of mine last year]. This is the signal for 'too much time on their hands' enforcement. It is very unncecessary and should not be tolerated.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM

60-70K and only one table of players?

I bring that much cash out, I want a place that has security staff. Seems worth paying a premium for.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM

man this is exactly why I stopped playing in clubs. Between cops and robbers, it's just not worth it.