Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

I happen to be good friends with the owner of this "club". He is a complete stand up guy and your accusations are [censored]. You are very far off the mark with your accusations I assure you and can't even belived that you suggest them. Think what you may about what happened but posting lies and nonsense under a fake name gain you no recognition here. I have no idea why this was posted in the first place and hope the whole thread gets deleted.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to be good friends with the owner of this "club". He is a complete stand up guy and your accusations are [censored]. You are very far off the mark with your accusations I assure you and can't even belived that you suggest them. Think what you may about what happened but posting lies and nonsense under a fake name gain you no recognition here. I have no idea why this was posted in the first place and hope the whole thread gets deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess it makes me feel a lot better about it that what appears to be a well respected poster is standing up for him. I think it's good that you did. Like I said in my original post I really like the guy too and felt bad for the beating he took. I didn't post any lies, only that I was unsure about it and that any time a club gets hit there is always question about indsider involvement. I wouldn't suggest it except it happens all the time. Certainly there was some insider involvement here, it is just a question of who and how much. Probably it was one indvidual player who got crushed or is just a real douche bag. I don't know and I would hope you don't either.

My reason for posting this is not to gain respect but to inform others who might choose to play in these enviorments of incidents like this because I don't think this is isolated and people like to keep it quite. I understand that but people pay to play in an honest and safe a game as possible. Is it a bad thing to let people know about stuff like this? I will say this I think the likely hood of someone getting serisouly hurt in an indicent like this is low. The crooks just want the money and it is the perfect crime if no one gets hurt and no cops are called. This is the main reason why when an owner gets hit the percentage of times they are in on it goes up.

So moving forward I think this place should be fine if they learn their lesson from this and think through some beefed up security/operational procedures for incidents like this. Hindsight is 20/20 but if the cops were called alot more money would be in poker players hands, not a bunch of guys in ski masks.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 AM

I was going to edit my original post to reflect dcb777's comments, but I don't see that option.

Anyway I think his comments GREATLY REDUCE the likely hood that managment was involved at all. I don't think my original post accussed him of being in on it, only bring the possiblity into question and I think that is reasonable.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Ok steamcall, I respect what you are saying about private clubs in general and protecting people. I was not trying to rip on you personally, but posting what I thought about someone I know. I just wanted to make it clear about the "owner" of this club and how I feel about that which is that he is a stand up guy. Good luck, to everyone in both private and public establishments and always consider the risks.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 AM

One or two big Atlanta home games just go on credit. Money isn't brought to the game, the house settles up with people at a later time (and its up to it to cover if someone hasn't settled yet), and everyone is known to be good for it (if they aren't they aren't allowed to play, they are either vouched for by someone else or known by the house to be good for it). A lot of money exchanges hands in these games (as they often play as high as 25/50 uncapped, and with these donks its fairly easy to imagine how crazy that could be). If someone wanted to get in, they could find a way, but I would be a lot more comfortable in a setting like this, even with a very rowdy ATL crowd. Obviously the benefits of this type of game in terms of robberies and police raids are easy to see, and the house has motivation to player select well since if it doesn't it takes the hit.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Wow, this makes me think twice about playing in an underground poker club. Good post.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM

As I said before, I'm surprised the owner let the people in just because they flashed a badge. No warrant, no entry, period.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to edit my original post to reflect dcb777's comments, but I don't see that option.

Anyway I think his comments GREATLY REDUCE the likely hood that managment was involved at all. I don't think my original post accussed him of being in on it, only bring the possiblity into question and I think that is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a private room in an obscure area last year whose owners were accused of robbing the joint. The owner was pistole whipped with the but of an uzi, yet he was still accused of a setup by the other underground room owners. Think about it, would you allow yourself to get whipped for 90k+++? Apparently he did if the accusations are true.

PS: This thread just got moved to B&M, as a reminder we can only discuss this topic without details as per the B&M FAQ, this is the policy to assure the players, employees and owners of the card room are all safe. Also keep in mind that its possible the robbers read 2+2, often when private card rooms are robbed its an inside job - a sad but true fact.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy running it was a fool for not asking to see a warrant. Even SWAT would have a warrant, they would just bust down the door before showing it to you though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because when asked for a warrant the crooks with guns would have to sheepishly look at each other, than say sorry we don't have one, and slowly shuffle out, with heads hung low. Their perfect plan to rob the place with guns foiled due to lack of warrant.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy running it was a fool for not asking to see a warrant. Even SWAT would have a warrant, they would just bust down the door before showing it to you though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because when asked for a warrant the crooks with guns would have to sheepishly look at each other, than say sorry we don't have one, and slowly shuffle out, with heads hung low. Their perfect plan to rob the place with guns foiled due to lack of warrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no warrant shown in the raid I was caught in, I think thats an incorrect argument - police can raid without a warrant if they believe there is criminal activity currently taking place.