Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Best Hi Hand on Flop - Home game

PLO8 home game, effective stacks about $100. 6 players, none are PLO8 experts by any means, action is usually "ZOMG i have nut low draw and inside straight draw allz in." I am trying to get my head around the game. This hand might seem very trivial to you all, so plz be nice. Also, this is from memory, math might be wrong on PSBs.

I am in the BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Blinds .25/.50

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls .50, CO raises to $2, Button calls, SB folds, I call $1.50, UTG+1 calls 1.50.

Loose call I know, but this raise doesn't mean anything in particular. This player raises 90% of his hands just to sweeten the pot. I can usually outplay these opponents after the flop.

Flop ($8.25). Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG+1 bets $8.25, CO raises to $33, Button folds, I....

At this point, UTG+1 announces he is all in before I act. I know CO is going to call regardless.

I fold.

Correct?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Best Hi Hand on Flop - Home game

I think you could go either way. I actually think that against decent opponents calling here would be better, since it's less likely a good player would go all-in with some sort of combo draw - and what would realy hurt your equity in this hand is if someone is pushing with a hand like 9TJK suited in diamonds. If opponents both have A3 plus some sort of lesser high or a draw to the flush, you're in much better shape.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:38 AM

Seems to me tho that Im at best like 70% to win the hi hand. So it seems that Im putting in 100 to win at most 150. At 70%, seems like my equity sucks
Old 03-17-2007, 03:14 AM

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls .50, CO raises to $2, Button calls, SB folds, I call $1.50, UTG+1 calls 1.50.

Loose call I know, but this raise doesn't mean anything in particular. This player raises 90% of his hands just to sweeten the pot. I can usually outplay these opponents after the flop.

No excuse for calling this, worst call ever. That it. As for the flop. fold it and thats a perfect example as to why you shouild fold this hand. Your OOP also
Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 AM

calling PF is just awful.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:57 AM

defending your bb with 8622 is the worst play ever
Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 AM

these guys are raising w trash as well. but fine, obv PF call is bad.

i dont think im asking about my play PF. is that the most interesting part of this hand that you guys need to comment on?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont think im asking about my play PF. is that the most interesting part of this hand that you guys need to comment on?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PF call is the reason you made the post, so it is the crucial point in the hand. It's not only not a good hand but one of the worst possible hands to get dealt. You have to think about what flops/boards could come that would a) win you the hand and b) get you action. Any 88xx hand fails miserably in both circumstances.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:33 AM

Jesus, he's asking about the FLOP. Saying the preflop call is bad and not addressing the flop is a copout, and its not what he's asking about. Pretend he was in the BB and got a free look if its too hard for you.

I suck at O8 so I can't help much but you're getting 2:1 on the call right? That means you only need to take the high 2/3 of the time to break even. Since you currently have the nuts and they are donks they probably collectively have less than 9 outs against you on average, but its close and I could be wrong. I think 9 outs is the cutoff too. IMO what you do here doesn't matter too much so fold if you care about lowering variance, call otherwise.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 AM

wait a minute. you call with absolute trash, make the nuts, then fold? wtf?