Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Locking threads?

Felicia,

Did someone ask you to lock those two threads? I know and like Bluff and I'm sure he didn't. I have known and have been ambivalent about Ribbo for a huge amount of time and I'm certain he wouldn't either. Ribbo loves a scrap.

This has always been a surly forum, it's part of its character.

And you say that you don't play favourites, but the only time in my memory of this forum we have some threads locked, they're both about your chum Ribbo.

gl

dd
Old 05-26-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Locking threads?

Dave,

I have to admit to pouring gasoline on the fire in those threads for no real purpose other than perverse enjoyment at kidding Ribbo. Also in the 2nd one she locked, where Ribb mentions she had already told me to "STFU" as he put it, I hadn't at the point of my 2nd to last post there seen her sticky, as I don't tend to notice those. It is fun to poke a barking dog through the fence though, however unwise or uneeded.

As to Felicia showing favortism to Ribbo, you do have a valid point in making that claim since as you say she has only locked anti-Ribb threads and is listed as a friend on his journal. Nonetheless, any mod in any other forum would lock such threads.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM

Surely the point of the mod is to preserve the character of the forum that the posters want. This has always been a bitter forum. It could be argued that Bluff vs Aces was harsher than Bluff vs Ribbo, but thankfully there were no mods then and it stayed. Winter was a great one for pointless ridiculing threads, which often made me cry, but I dont recall them being locked. In fact he was only banned the first time for a hugely inappropriate outburst about lapdancers/whores when he was drunk (again).

Sometime there is a bit of genuine value in those kind of threads. We were also talking about Ribbo's move to PLO, which as I was ignoring your bear baiting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], was a reasonably interesting topic.

I thought you Yanks believed in free speech? Sorry, I forgot you were revising your Constitution [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gl

Dave
Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 AM

Dave,

The difference between past exchanges between myself and aces, is that I was harsh on some of his strategy advice which I thought was wrong. In that regard, Ribbo is right in the one thread about giving other posters an occasional "kick up the backside". The only such valid criticism I have made of Ribbo is his overplay of aces, which while getting the money against idiots who don't know how to play against them will doom a player to dumping his stack against better players. Also the statements that I have made about his exaggerating how good the PLO8 games are is still to me 100% accurate, despite Felicia's belief to the contrary. For the most part however, I have just been baiting Ribbo, which it is true that he has brought on himself over time somewhat through boasting and denigrating the 2+2 forums.

Still, there is a difference between surly exchanges on strategy matters and ones involving mostly personalities. As to free speech, this is a commercial forum run as a business, and they have a right to set what guidelines they wish and enforce same, especially since those decorum guidelines don't differ much from those found at other internet forums. That probably won't stop me in the future from exercising poor impulse control and making such occasional personal comments, but I will try not to go overboard with same.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 AM

I miss the old days when this was THE forum for lively discussions. While the threads, sometimes, degenerated into playground name calling the strategy discussed was always helpfull to a novice like me who was struggling at the $100 buyins. Has anyone else noticed a decline in the number of posts?

On a side note: Dave are we going to get a new blog entry in June? There you have complete freedom of speach.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:11 AM

there's one in my head, I just need to crack open my skull and scoop out that sweet cranium porridge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dd
Old 05-26-2006, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note: Dave are we going to get a new blog entry in June? There you have complete freedom of speach.

[/ QUOTE ]

url please.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM

It has nothing to do with favorites, non-favorites, flame wars, arguments, name calling or anything else.

You might be surprised, but it simply has to do with me hanging out here more than normal. I know that Beset attends law school, has a full-time job and has a family. That is a tough burden. If I see he hasn't been around in a few days, I tend to amble over here and see what's going on.

In general, he seems to moderate this forum more than me, and I tend to moderate O8 more than him. But that is just a generalization.

So in pursuit of other stupid hobbies, I might ignore this forum for a week or more, until I notice that maybe Beset is taking finals in school or is otherwise tied up. Maybe I'll come over if I play some LLPLO, to see if I'm still scratching out a win correctly (according to the rock tight nut peddler rules of 2+2). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So basically it comes down to laziness. If I see someone, anyone, starting to take an argument into personal territory, I just lock it up, or delete it, or edit it.

Also, NO ONE has alerted me to anything. Ribbo isn't coming to me crying over threads, not once has he asked me to help him. Nor has anyone else. I just get sick of the flaming, and try to be fair, but decide where to draw the line, then draw it.

I'm usually a pretty hands-off moderator, but if a thread just spirals downwards to the point that I believe it can't be saved, I generally chuck it.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM

That's why it was harsher. Also u seem to resist my baiting just fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM

Felicia,

I gathered that you were here more. I think this forum needs almost zero moderation. My point was that I *knew* Ribbo wouldn't be asking for threads to be locked. He likes this sh*t. And if everyone concerned is happy, why does it need to be moderated, especially by a moderator who by their own addmission doesnt come here often and certainly never came here before moderation began on 2+2.

Now I understand that 2+2 want to keep things squeaky clean "for the kids" but this was just the usual kinda b*tch-fighting you get now and again. And has always been a part of this particular forum.

As the comics says, Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?