Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the camp that thinks this is overly dangerous and that, no matter how much Sean wants to take the challenge, it would be irresponsible to bet on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a avid diver w/8 years experience, I'm also in the "overly dangerous" camp.

Sean will lose judgement at some point and enter some stage of hypothermia. For that reason, I would require that the doctor have final say in all health matters. Both sides will need to agree on a doctor and on the guidelines for "calling off the fight". If the doctor pulls Sean out of the water, he loses the bet.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many prop bets fall into this category, like Erick Lindgren's endurance golf prop bet during the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people have PM'd saying something along the lines of "If you're taking this bet then I am too."

Disclosure: I got hurt pretty badly in the Lindgren bet.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sean will lose judgement at some point and enter some stage of hypothermia. For that reason, I would require that the doctor have final say in all health matters. Both sides will need to agree on a doctor and on the guidelines for "calling off the fight". If the doctor pulls Sean out of the water, he loses the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

simple solution, if he loses consciousness he gets dragged out and he loses bet.

just have a hot bath on shore and throw him in that to defrost him if you're so worried.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 PM

http://www.useakayak.org/references/...mia_table.html

84 degrees seems really doable especially since his head will be out of the water. he's probably acclimating himself to cold water right now.

I think the best for the person in the water would be to start about an hour before sunset, that way just when they really start getting cold and ready to quit the sun will come up, and the sunshine shoulod acutally add some warmth once it gets up.

if he starts at sunrise I could see it getting somewhat bad towards the end.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 AM

I am willing to agree to the terms of having a paramedic / doctor on site and if I lose consciousness, then and only then do I get pulled from the water and I lose - I am not willing to have them declare that I am in peril and pull me - this whole thing is about whether or not I have the will to push myself through normal physical limitations - so of course I am going to be in peril.

I am still up for doing in in Turks or Aruba, etc. between Barcelona and NAPC in Canada... Admo, we can work out escrow, etc. E dog can even hold it - we both know that we are honorable people.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 AM

Admo,
Apathy is in Aruba. The internet is pretty [censored] down there and I can't seem to reach anybody.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Admo,
Apathy is in Aruba. The internet is pretty [censored] down there and I can't seem to reach anybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you stay at places other than the radisson, you have internet and busto immediately. at least I did.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am willing to agree to the terms of having a paramedic / doctor on site and if I lose consciousness, then and only then do I get pulled from the water and I lose - I am not willing to have them declare that I am in peril and pull me - this whole thing is about whether or not I have the will to push myself through normal physical limitations - so of course I am going to be in peril.

I am still up for doing in in Turks or Aruba, etc. between Barcelona and NAPC in Canada... Admo, we can work out escrow, etc. E dog can even hold it - we both know that we are honorable people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me make it clear that I'm not inserting myself into your bet, or trying to talk anybody out of it, what risks you choose to take are your own.

But I wouldn't be involved because I can envision this, remembering we're talking about the ocean here, not a pool:

Safety boat is anchored about 10 feet away from Sean to keep the random wave from smacking it inot Sean's head. Its three in the morning. The moon has gone down. Its dark. The guys in the safety boat are bored, about 14 hours into the challenge. At the last close up check by the Dr., Sean was suffering but ok. The guys in the boat look away from Sean, scratch their ass, piss on over the other side of the boat, whatever. Not long, just for a few seconds. They look back, Sean has passed out and slipped under the water. He's been gone for 30 seconds. 45 seconds to a minute after he's slipped underwater, rescuers reach the last spot he's been seen. Its dark. They can't see him. They search. They find him 5, 6, 8, 12 (whatever) minutes after he passed out.

Sean is alive?/dead?/braindamaged?

*shrugs* maybe I'm overcautious here. But if you put the odds of that at as low as 5% it seems like too much of a risk to be involved in.

--Zetack
Old 10-05-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me make it clear that I'm not inserting myself into your bet, or trying to talk anybody out of it, what risks you choose to take are your own.

But I wouldn't be involved because I can envision this, remembering we're talking about the ocean here, not a pool:

Safety boat is anchored about 10 feet away from Sean to keep the random wave from smacking it inot Sean's head. Its three in the morning. The moon has gone down. Its dark. The guys in the safety boat are bored, about 14 hours into the challenge. At the last close up check by the Dr., Sean was suffering but ok. The guys in the boat look away from Sean, scratch their ass, piss on over the other side of the boat, whatever. Not long, just for a few seconds. They look back, Sean has passed out and slipped under the water. He's been gone for 30 seconds. 45 seconds to a minute after he's slipped underwater, rescuers reach the last spot he's been seen. Its dark. They can't see him. They search. They find him 5, 6, 8, 12 (whatever) minutes after he passed out.

*shrugs* maybe I'm overcautious here. But if you put the odds of that at as low as 5% it seems like too much of a risk to be involved in.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the risk/reward here either. And it is clear that McCabe isn't really doing this for the money, even though the money adds to the experience for him. Some people get off on risking their life and I don't see why we should stop them if they understand the risk.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have him wear a light. also a good reason for him to argue to start at dusk, which is to his advantage. hell, you could just tie a line to him so you could fish him out.