Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 05:12 AM

Default NL Cash Games SB,BB question

What odds do I want on my money to call with any two cards from the small blind. And call a raise with any two cards from the big blind?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 AM

Default Re: NL Cash Games SB,BB question

what size raise? your question is to broad, you need to specify how many players have called or raised and for what amount.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 AM

From the small blind how many limpers do you want to call the blind with marginal hands out of position? The big blind is facing a common 2-4xBB raise. Has a ok hand and 3 people in the pot? In the situations getting like 4 to 1, sometimes 5 to 1 is it long term + EV to make these calls?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the small blind how many limpers do you want to call the blind with marginal hands out of position? The big blind is facing a common 2-4xBB raise. Has a ok hand and 3 people in the pot? In the situations getting like 4 to 1, sometimes 5 to 1 is it long term + EV to make these calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

The real answer is of course, "it depends", on the makeup of the table, what kind of player raised, how deep the stacks are, etc. But as for some general guidelines I follow in "generic" situations. Like when I'm not paying attention to my online STT.

In the SB, if 3 people limped before you then you are getting 9-1 to call that half a bet. In that situation I will call with any two cards. Be aware that in situations like this you are going to partially hit some flops, and you need to be able to get away from those. For example in the SB I call with 95 and the flop comes down 9 4 2. Don't get caught up in this pot just because you have TP.

In the BB vs a raise. If calling the raise will close action preflop then I will call with speculative hands like suited connectors, Ax suited, and two broadway cards, up to like 3xBB or 4xBB if the pot will be 4+ players. Again, you have to be able to get away when you hit small pieces of the flop.
Also, if there are still players left to act after me (for example if two EP players limped and the button raised) then I fold marginal hands, there is just too great a chance of a reraise behind you.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM

The implied odds are way more important than the current pot odds. The only reason for calling a raise OOP with a marginal hand in NL is to hit a well disguised monster and stack one or more players. So stack size in relation to the raise is the most important consideration, 5-10 rule applies. 2nd most important consideration is the type of opponents in the hand. Do they make good decisions after the flop? Are they likely to get stacked when holding just an overpair or TPTK? 3rd consideration is the number of callers. If the raise came from EP, how many people called? If it came from LP, how many likely callers are there?

To sumarize, you want to play these hands multi way with as much dead money in the pot pf as possible. You want to play them against big stacks and against players who can't lay down Overpairs or TPTK.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 PM

I play low stakes shorthanded nl so this might be difrent other wise but I would not call with "any two" even if the rest of the table limped before me and I knew BB will check most of the time (getting 1:11). I complete with paris, AXs, suited connected broad way. I will not play low suited connectors with a limp in SB no matter the odds. Neither will I play hands like KTo and JTo in the sb. I have 25% vpip in SB, this is also from raising (AK-AJ) in SB and caling raises in SB (mostly with pairs only).

BB: If it was minraised I will call with KQ and maybe KJ if it was a realy bad player that raised. KT, QJ, QT JT are realy bad if someone raised, but if you got good impled odds and you know when to fold then call with them. Mostly though, pairs is what I call a normal raise with. When I am calling a raise no matter position, I am looking to stack that person, so I want a good hand for that.

I play pretty tight (18% vpip) but it works great for me. I am very aggresive (PT says I am a ultra agressor) when I do flop something and often can take pots uncontested with my table image.

*edit* Messed this one up, if it is RAISED I will call with pairs mostly only in BB, AK can be reraised but you are out of pos. The most important thing with calling a raise is if you got implied odds or not. I am not looking to play alot if hands in raised pots (unless I raised myself) and espessaly out of pos.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play low stakes shorthanded nl so this might be difrent other wise but I would not call with "any two" even if the rest of the table limped before me and I knew BB will check most of the time (getting 1:11). I complete with paris, AXs, suited connected broad way. I will not play low suited connectors with a limp in SB no matter the odds. Neither will I play hands like KTo and JTo in the sb. I have 25% vpip in SB, this is also from raising (AK-AJ) in SB and caling raises in SB (mostly with pairs only).

BB: If it was minraised I will call with KQ and maybe KJ if it was a realy bad player that raised. KT, QJ, QT JT are realy bad if someone raised, but if you got good impled odds and you know when to fold then call with them. Mostly though, pairs is what I call a normal raise with. When I am calling a raise no matter position, I am looking to stack that person, so I want a good hand for that.

I play pretty tight (18% vpip) but it works great for me. I am very aggresive (PT says I am a ultra agressor) when I do flop something and often can take pots uncontested with my table image.

*edit* Messed this one up, if it is RAISED I will call with pairs mostly only in BB, AK can be reraised but you are out of pos. The most important thing with calling a raise is if you got implied odds or not. I am not looking to play alot if hands in raised pots (unless I raised myself) and espessaly out of pos.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want you on my low stakes table, but more than that i want you to come play 5-10 or 10-20nl with me :P
If you are good enough to play the table, you should be taking advantage of more of the profitable sitionations.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are good enough to play the table, you should be taking advantage of more of the profitable sitionations.

[/ QUOTE ]

The old "I can beat you".... Sure you can, but what do I care? My style works great on the tables I play. I do not care if you make $100/h or not, as long as I am happy with my rate I do not care about others. Oh well, I should never have posted, this is the "thanx" I get...
Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 PM

good post My Mind. Don't let the haters get to you.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM

I would call the limp from the small blind with any 2, as long as its not just me and the big blind. If you already have half the money in there, unless your shortstacked, it makes no sense not to take a flop. In the BB with a raise, I would very rarely defend my blind, unless I found the raiser in late position. It doesnt pay to play trash when your not in position. If I knew my players, I might get in for a steal and thats it. Otherwise I would stick to big hands up front.