Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Discuss: Five Basic Mistakes to Look For In an Opponent

Five Basic Mistakes to Look For In an Opponent When You're New to Heads-up No-limit Hold 'em by Frederic Bush

To give our author feedback and to encourage discussion, I'm creating this thread to discuss the article linked above.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Discuss: Five Basic Mistakes to Look For In an Opponent

I for one loved this article for it was plainly stating a lot of great concpets.
one big concept was on the big blind I didnt know that it was a great strategy to fold a great deal of hands on the preflop in the big blind. I was under the impression that you would want to see a lot of flops as the old adage "the flop missed you but it also missed your opponet as well".

wouldn't one get blinded down if they are folding prefop in the big blind, and then get raised when on the button when we raised?.
in relation to a head up battle at the final table or a sit and go?.
how do we combat this big raiser who is taking momentum, our chips , and demoralzing us.
pick a hand and move in, therefore putting him to the test or do you have a strategy you are going to reveal in november issue?

this wasnt' in your article but i was also wondering about the phil techique of moving in every hand ? . how do you combat this especially if you are card dead ?.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Masterholmes:

Not to speak for the author at all, but I believe that you have hit upon a few of the differences between cash game and tournament HU. The author specifically states:

[ QUOTE ]
The presence of an ante in tournament poker, and the smaller relative stacks, make heads-up tourney advice of limited applicability to no-limit cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting "blinded down" is not a real consideration in cash games, since you can reload whenever you choose. If you both have full effective stacks of 100BB plus, there is little need to base your strategy around defending your blinds.

In a tournament, of course, if you consistently fold your big blind you give up valuable chips, and the only way to "reload" your stack is to win them back. And with every chip you lose the "power" of your stack decreases, and the power of your opponent's stack increases, making your job harder.

Picking a hand and moving in is not a good strategy in deep stack HU cash games either - you risk a lot of chips for little gain. A 3-bet will often have a comparable fold equity to a push, and has much less risk if you happen to have picked the moment when your opponent has a premium hand.

HU at the end of an MTT or SNG is a different kettle of fish entirely - I think the STT forum has a lot of wisdom on that, based on ICM calculations.

As someone who plays a lot of HU SNGs, I can only reinforce my agreement with the author that the two are almost incomparable at times.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Oh, and a question of my own:

You talk about 3-betting as the main defence to the player who (correctly) raises a large percentage of his button hands. Do you see this as preferable to calling and leading out on the flop (ie effectively floating before the flop)? Or do you feel that both have a place?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and a question of my own:

You talk about 3-betting as the main defence to the player who (correctly) raises a large percentage of his button hands. Do you see this as preferable to calling and leading out on the flop (ie effectively floating before the flop)? Or do you feel that both have a place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the question, Penguin.

As you can see if you read further down in the article, I believe a strategy of check/raising the flop to be a superior play, because it is more likely to give your opponent conniptions and it puts you back in control of the hand. (Check-calling flops has its place as well, particularly vs. aggressive foes.)

Donk-betting the flop leaves your opponent in control of the pot size and the situation. Also, it's hard to both donk-bet your good hands and have hands left over that are worth calling if you check and he continuation bets; so either your donk-bet range is going to be quite weak, or your checking range will be quite weak, and in either case you're giving your opponent useful info about the strength of your hand while having no info on his, which is IMO a poor situation.

--Fred
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I for one loved this article for it was plainly stating a lot of great concpets.
one big concept was on the big blind I didnt know that it was a great strategy to fold a great deal of hands on the preflop in the big blind. I was under the impression that you would want to see a lot of flops as the old adage "the flop missed you but it also missed your opponet as well".

wouldn't one get blinded down if they are folding prefop in the big blind, and then get raised when on the button when we raised?.
in relation to a head up battle at the final table or a sit and go?.
how do we combat this big raiser who is taking momentum, our chips , and demoralzing us.
pick a hand and move in, therefore putting him to the test or do you have a strategy you are going to reveal in november issue?

this wasnt' in your article but i was also wondering about the phil techique of moving in every hand ? . how do you combat this especially if you are card dead ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Masterholmes:

To learn more about handling preflop all-ins, I recommend you look at optimal headsup push/fold tables. These analyze which hands it is profitable to go all-in with preflop, and which hands it is profitable to call an all-in player with, given a certain number of big blinds behind.

The Sklansky-Chubukov tables, which can be found in 2+2's No-Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice, and are also online here, are one approach.

Another approach is taken by the authors of the Mathematics of Poker and the Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide (Tournament Edition), resulting in a different set of hands in their table.

In no-limit cash games, you are usually playing with a large effective stack, so you don't see all-in preflop moves by untilted players very often.

--Fred
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Donk-betting the flop leaves your opponent in control of the pot size and the situation. Also, it's hard to both donk-bet your good hands and have hands left over that are worth calling if you check and he continuation bets; so either your donk-bet range is going to be quite weak, or your checking range will be quite weak, and in either case you're giving your opponent useful info about the strength of your hand while having no info on his, which is IMO a poor situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought of it like that - thanks.

Also, do you advocate a standard raise from the button, or do you vary the size of your raise? If the latter, do you do so based on any factors, or is it just random?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 AM

I liked your article.

My one bone of contention or point of clarification.

I certainly have a lot more tourney than cash game experience, but am a winning player. What is wrong with min raising preflop from the small blind? This is about the only time I min raise, btw.

I like the argument that the entire contest is based on the battle of the blinds. I like to risk the minimum to win the maximum. I also find that you get a lot more action with premium hands.

If you are against this strategy my question would be do you vary the amounts of your preflop raises.

Great article and this is the only part I disagreed with, doesn't mean I'm right.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Great article. So how would you go about playing a middle strength hand, out of position, against an opponent who rarely folds his BB?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great article. So how would you go about playing a middle strength hand, out of position, against an opponent who rarely folds his BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

No quick answer for that one.

PM me for coaching info :-)