Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Procrastination stories

I have 5/8ths of a paper done. It's due in 1.5 hours. I'm reading 2p2.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Most of these stories are totally weak compared to my roommate.

He's failed multiple classes because he put off papers until past their due dates, thinking he would incur the penalty and do them late. Then he finds out exactly how much credit he'll get if he does the paper late and decides not to do it at all. I doubt he has turned in half of his papers on time, and he's probably blown off a good fifth of his total papers over the course of college. He had to drop his history major because he just never did any of the work.

He skips senior level classes for weeks on end. In the past he has gone to classes for the first time in a long period and found out they had a test that day. He's asleep right now, and he's slept through all his classes, including a daily 5PM class, everyday this week (except yesterday he went to a morning class to take a test before he went to bed for the 'night').

He had a paper due 2 weeks ago in a senior linguistics class that he's yet to even start writing. The class starts in half an hour, he hasn't been since before the paper was due, and, like I said, he's fast asleep.

The funny thing is his overall GPA is above a 2.0. He pretty much either gets an A or an F in a class, depending on whether they have to do any papers or not. He was third in his class from a very good high school and was in honors with a full ride when he came to college (that's all gone now, needless to say).

I could go on and on, but you probably get the picture.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM

The worst procrastination is when studying for a test. I have written countless 10+ page papers the day before or even the morning of the due date. If you just sit down and start writing (and are a decent writer), it is very easy to cram one of these in. I can NEVER write a paper until the day before its due. I dont know what it is, but I guess I write better under pressure.

Now, studying for tests is another thing. I love trying to cram in studying for GE classes where the final is not cumulative. This way, I dont have to remember any of it (as cramming severly hurts your ability to keep it in long term memory).
Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's failed multiple classes because he put off papers until past their due dates, thinking he would incur the penalty and do them late. Then he finds out exactly how much credit he'll get if he does the paper late and decides not to do it at all. I doubt he has turned in half of his papers on time, and he's probably blown off a good fifth of his total papers over the course of college. He had to drop his history major because he just never did any of the work.

He skips senior level classes for weeks on end. In the past he has gone to classes for the first time in a long period and found out they had a test that day. He's asleep right now, and he's slept through all his classes, including a daily 5PM class, everyday this week (except yesterday he went to a morning class to take a test before he went to bed for the 'night').

He had a paper due 2 weeks ago in a senior linguistics class that he's yet to even start writing. The class starts in half an hour, he hasn't been since before the paper was due, and, like I said, he's fast asleep.

The funny thing is his overall GPA is above a 2.0. He pretty much either gets an A or an F in a class, depending on whether they have to do any papers or not. He was third in his class from a very good high school and was in honors with a full ride when he came to college (that's all gone now, needless to say).

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance he's depressed?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a research paper presentation tomorrow...I'm going to start looking for scholarly articles soon after I go out and play beer pong and sing karaoke

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention this actually. I did absolutely nothing this semester work-wise, basically the exact same as the above kid's roommate. Last week I was meeting with my advisor because she wanted to talk, and she told me that I should go see somebody in our wellness center and get evaluated by them because I might have depression.

Long story short, guy diagnoses me with depression, and i'm able to take a medical leave instead of failing all of my classes and getting my gpa dragged down through the mud. Don't know exactly how much money i'm going to get back from the school though, and either way it's a wasted semester which sucks.

I'm also not sure yet if I actually do suffer from depression, or if I just knew that it would be a way for me not to have to take the consequences of my actions, and went with it from there.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention this actually. I did absolutely nothing this semester work-wise, basically the exact same as the above kid's roommate. Last week I was meeting with my advisor because she wanted to talk, and she told me that I should go see somebody in our wellness center and get evaluated by them because I might have depression.

Long story short, guy diagnoses me with depression, and i'm able to take a medical leave instead of failing all of my classes and getting my gpa dragged down through the mud. Don't know exactly how much money i'm going to get back from the school though, and either way it's a wasted semester which sucks.

I'm also not sure yet if I actually do suffer from depression, or if I just knew that it would be a way for me not to have to take the consequences of my actions, and went with it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]He's thinking about doing this.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM

I'm procrastinating right now. I'm also world-class at never studying for exams, and then going out drinking the night before and staying up drinking and smoking all night, getting 3 hours of sleep, and waking up still drunk and high and getting B's.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm procrastinating right now. I'm also world-class at never studying for exams, and then going out drinking the night before and staying up drinking and smoking all night, getting 3 hours of sleep, and waking up still drunk and high and getting B's.

[/ QUOTE ]
our natural intelligence only helps our procrastination. If I wasn't smart and failed my classes due to my procrastination I probably wouldn't be doing it. But since being naturally smart means not having to study for hours like everyone else, it just makes me want to procrastinate more. I do feel like I am wasting my talents and always wonder where I would be if I worked just as hard as everyone else. I would probably have a 4.0 GPA, be in a top school and my future would be much brighter. Oh well [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Had a senior seminar class during undergrad with one grade, basically run a lecture on anything media related, but pretty hard none the less, each student took a class of the last 12 in the semester. I started mine at about 230 AM day of and had 45 pages, fully cited + DVD appendix and powerpoint with embeddable movie clips on Oliver Stone done for a 1:00 PM class