Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Default I\'m scared

Hi guys

I'm pretty new user at 2p2 but now I would need a help!

I have been playing poker for couple of years and I have played a lot of cash games and mtt's with good results but the last 5 months I have been playing only sng's. I run good and I love playing poker and especially sng's!

I have been playing 50's and I actually run good at 9% roi within that 5 month period. My bankroll is in good shape and 50's feels a piece of cake.

BUT the problem is that when I decide to play 100's I am really SCARED MONEY at those games! My game isn't my best and I shove way too much with good cards because I don't want to get sucked out and be a bubble boy. Also when I lose couple of my first tourneys at the beginning of the session I turn a complete donkey. I must end up winning.

That doesn't happen in the 50's but only at the 100's. I have played only ~100 of those and my roi is much lower but not negative.

What kind of mental practise would you recommend when moving up the levels? Should I just decide to play 50 of those and not mind about the result and at the goal I would analyze my play and after that decide what levels to continue? And I know that 50 tourneys isn't much but when 4 tabling that usually is at least two days and when playing bad it would really suck to lose the money that I have been grinding with hard work! Variance is a bitch.

I would really appreciate your advices and experiences!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: I\'m scared

good practise: burning money

Honestly I think that you'll evetnually get used to it. I find it a lot harder on cash where actual monies are used instead of chips.

If not... stay at the 50s! Many players (not just 2p2) can only dream of having a solid winrate at that level...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 PM

A few things you can try -

Play less tables and concentrate more on them when playing higher until you become comfortable

Mix in one 100 with three 50s in a set until you become comfortable

Play way over-rolled - have at least 200 buyins before you dive into playing only 100s
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good practise: burning money

Honestly I think that you'll evetnually get used to it. I find it a lot harder on cash where actual monies are used instead of chips.

If not... stay at the 50s! Many players (not just 2p2) can only dream of having a solid winrate at that level...

[/ QUOTE ]
You may be right. I just have to decide to play 100's when I'm playing good and try to get used to the fact that it's just money and if i play my own A game I wont lose them.

[ QUOTE ]
A few things you can try -

Play less tables and concentrate more on them when playing higher until you become comfortable

Mix in one 100 with three 50s in a set until you become comfortable

Play way over-rolled - have at least 200 buyins before you dive into playing only 100s

[/ QUOTE ]
I have tried to mix one or two 100's along with the 50's but I just cant fool myself and I always know where the big tables are and now it inflects to all tables.

I have always been very cautious with the br management and now I'm playing 50's with almost 600 buyins so it would be enough for 100's too.

I have tried to multitable 6-9 tables but I cant keep my roi high enough that it would be profitable. And I really hate the abc multitabling because I love to concentrate to all tables. So nowadays I play just 4 tables and I don't think that less tables would help me concentrating. It would prolly make feel impatient and thats not good

When I started playing sng's 5 months ago I went straight to play 50's so this would be the first move to higher level.

Do you think that watching cardrunners/sngicons videos at higher limits would help any?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM

i suggest you start the session at the 50s and if you have run well and have made a profit there, you go to the 100s with the profit you made. i know how you re feeling, but i usually get over it if i m playing.
also with that huge bankroll you can really take a hit and if you realize you re not such a big winner in the game you can move down again. it s only money man [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], actually less important than one might think.