Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Adding distance by exercising

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think extreme flexibility necessarily helps a swing...in fact, I think it mostly hurts it since the best swings tend to be relatively compact. Mostly, I think that you are fine as long as you're not inflexible...as long as you're 'normal', there are more important things to focus on.

[/ QUOTE ]

PGA Tour players on average are much more flexible than the average person as tested by a seating excercise where one twists their upper body around as much as possible. (John Daley is extrememly flexible) I believe length comes from speed (core srength) and not muscle strength. Compact swings from good players usually are full shoulder turns with short arm swings. Swings from hacks that look long are usually poor turns accompanied by a lifting of the arms.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM

For your size I'd do a normal workout and just remember to stretch and practice your swing between workouts.

I'd also like to add as a general golf-fitness comment for everybody, I've found pilates and regularly swinging a baseball bat has helped me immensely. When I say swinging a baseball bat, I mean I alternatively take 20 swings righty and lefty until i hit about 100 each.

btw, i know the pilates thing sounds, well, not masculine, but I'd recommend it for everybody!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Ditto on the Pilates or something like it. Correct function, i.e moving from the core and firing the muscles in the correct sequence is more important than anything in golf, for power and control.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This GUIDE
looks like it has some good info.

Make sure you work on your flexibility as well as gaining weight. You're sure to hit it further than you do now just by gaining 20 pounds, but you WILL NOT reach your full potential without working hard on your flexibility, IMO. (Unless of course you're already a rubber-band or something)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to imagine someone at 5'7" and 110 lbs NOT being flexible????

[/ QUOTE ]

What does height and weight have to do with flexibility?

Not being fat doesn't = flexible. It's pretty hard to be as flexible as I'm describing without doing regular stretching routines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said not being fat = flixible, and I'm not debating your point on the importance of stretching and exercise. That said, I think you will agree that certain weight/height/body types lend themselves to being more flexible than others. Of course there are exceptions. John Daly is much more flexible than the vast majority of people with his build/weight/height.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM

Understanding the kinetic chain and improving your swing mechanics will be infinitely more beneficial than adding lean body mass.

That said, a strong body is a healthy one. You should focus on core strength and functional flexibility.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 AM

core strength/flexibility, as it has been stated is huge. also, i experienced a nice boost by strengthening my legs, mainly quads/hamstrings; led to improved stability, g/l
Old 10-19-2007, 03:38 AM

Whitelime I believe strength training will have minimal impact on the distance you hit the ball. I think you will gain a little distance, but nothing crazy. If you take the example of Tiger, he's now pretty beefed up and yet hits the ball the same distance he did when he was in college and a skinny runt. Some people will say he hits it further with his driver now - and he does - but that's just due to the modern technology.

Working on your swing will cause the greatest gain in distance. Increasing your flexibility and hip / shoulder rotation in your backswing will be far more beneficial imo (distance wise). The reason modern golfers tend to work out so much is for longetivity, but also to handle the deep rough at US opens and the tougher courses.

John Daly does not do any strength training and yet is one of the longest hitters on the tour. He also does no flexibility training. I guess what I'm saying is natural ability is the primary determinent of the length someone can hit the ball. But there's nothing wrong with aspiring to improve. But sadly I think you'll only be adding 10 yards no matter what you do unless you fundamentally alter your swing.

As Greg Norman would say, the belt buckles of most great players will have rotated 90 degrees by the completion of the backswing. The greater rotation creates the extra clubhead speed, and presto, you're hitting the ball 10-15% further.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As Greg Norman would say, the belt buckles of most great players will have rotated 90 degrees by the completion of the backswing. The greater rotation creates the extra clubhead speed, and presto, you're hitting the ball 10-15% further.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this before.
Most all instruction i've seen says the hips (beltbuckle) should turn app. 45*.

The shoulder turn is around 90*.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this before.
Most all instruction i've seen says the hips (beltbuckle) should turn app. 45*.

The shoulder turn is around 90*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it for yourself...the belt buckle will actually face 90* away...though the left HIP is not 90*, it's more like 45-50* (which is what I think you're thinking of).
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

I remember reading an article that stated the common denominator among the biggest hitters was the shoulder turn compared to the hips. IE their shoulder turn made it so that at the top of the swing the shoulders were perpendicular to the hips and this is were all the important torque was.