Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Obesity: deadlier than smoking...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I start gaining weight by osmosis because ppl near me are eating cheeseburgers, I'll treat fatties like I do smokers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't it been shown that the dangers of typical 2nd hand smoke is mostly a myth? The studies that showed the increased risk of lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke were of people who lived with heavy smokers indoors for years and years, so they were constantly exposed to high levels of indoor smoke. Yet somehow the anti smoking hysteria applied this to typical outdoor 2nd hand smoke situations which is totally unfounded.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Stoss...237&page=1

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no opinion on second hand smoke but Stossel is scientifically incompetent. I would avoid mainstream news at all costs look for reports from the CDC and similar entities.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I dont understand. EATING IS THE MOST BASIC THING A HUMAN DOES ON A DAILY BASIS AND IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF LIVING A HEALTHY LIFE. ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU WANT TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID, LAZY AND/OR FAT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO DO THEIR DUE DILLEGENCE? WTF?

the health code issue is a very very retarded analogy. The general public isnt allowed in the kitchen of a restaurants, there is no way to know, so the codes are a good thing. And not all "A" resturants are clean and/or sanitary either so it really doesnt apply at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a lot of factors in the american lifestyle that contribute to obesity which is growing out of control. if the goverment can step in and make one minor change in an area that wont even affect anyone really where is the harm?

you ranting about government taking away our rights is reactiony and is the same song most people scream when government impose some restrictions. then people get used to it, prefer it and dont really know what the fuss was about in the first place.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is what I dont understand. EATING IS THE MOST BASIC THING A HUMAN DOES ON A DAILY BASIS AND IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF LIVING A HEALTHY LIFE. ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU WANT TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID, LAZY AND/OR FAT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO DO THEIR DUE DILLEGENCE? WTF?

the health code issue is a very very retarded analogy. The general public isnt allowed in the kitchen of a restaurants, there is no way to know, so the codes are a good thing. And not all "A" resturants are clean and/or sanitary either so it really doesnt apply at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a lot of factors in the american lifestyle that contribute to obesity which is growing out of control. if the goverment can step in and make one minor change in an area that wont even affect anyone really where is the harm?

you ranting about government taking away our rights is reactiony and is the same song most people scream when government impose some restrictions. then people get used to it, prefer it and dont really know what the fuss was about in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main factor, and arguably the only factor in obesity is diet. You can be healthy and skinny, even with very little exercise.

Throughout history governments slowly erode freedoms rather than taking them all away at once. At first you can smoke anywhere, than you cant smoke in planes, than you cant smoke in restaurants, than you cant smoke in some outdoor areas, now cali is proposing not allowing smoking in apartments.....

I dont care if it is trans fats, or free speech, the less the goverment interferes the better. If women have the right to choose to abort a baby, I should have the right to abort my digestive track with some good greasy french fries.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main factor, and arguably the only factor in obesity is diet. You can be healthy and skinny, even with very little exercise.
Throughout history governments slowly erode freedoms rather than taking them all away at once. At first you can smoke anywhere, than you cant smoke in planes, than you cant smoke in restaurants, than you cant smoke in some outdoor areas, now cali is proposing not allowing smoking in apartments.....
I dont care if it is trans fats, or free speech, the less the goverment interferes the better. If women have the right to choose to abort a baby, I should have the right to abort my digestive track with some good greasy french fries.

[/ QUOTE ]

obesity isnt just caused from diet. it's a multi-faceted issue.

i imagine over the last two decades people exercise less in their free time, spend more sedentary time at work and home because of computers and commute more which leads to less leisure time. all of this would lead to weight gain. diet is probably more important but inactivity is a major contributor.

and you can drink a gallon of that stuff every day if you want to. no one is stopping you even in NY. you just cant serve it to someone else in a restaurant.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

obesity isnt just caused from diet. it's a multi-faceted issue.

i imagine over the last two decades people exercise less in their free time, spend more sedentary time at work and home because of computers and commute more which leads to less leisure time. all of this would lead to weight gain. diet is probably more important but inactivity is a major contributor.

and you can drink a gallon of that stuff every day if you want to. no one is stopping you even in NY. you just cant serve it to someone else in a restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a restaurant owner this affects me.

and no, its not really multi-faceted. As far as being of normal weight and healthy when talking abotu the obesity problem in america, 90% cna be solved with a change in diet, its unfortunate people are too stupid to find out what they should be eating, and even more unfortunate that others are making excuses for them.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Sweet, a smokers vs fat people thread? We haven't had one of these in at least a couple of weeks. F the fatties, smokers pwn. I blow my smoke in your babies' faces and make old people clean up my cigarette butts for minimum wage in the parking lot at Walmart. LOLOLOLOLOL SUCK IT FATTIES
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. What's interesting about this debate is that few care when smokers rights are severely restricted in the name of health, let's not let them smoke anywhere, not even in their own apartments, let's add more taxes on a pack of cigarettes, few will complain because most don't smoke. You take this same kind of government knows what's best for you rational and apply to junk food, and people freak out.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...dhandSmoke.htm

Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke Exposure

* Secondhand smoke exposure causes heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmoking adults.2
* Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their heart disease risk by 25–30% and their lung cancer risk by 20–30%.2
* Breathing secondhand smoke has immediate harmful effects on the cardiovascular system that can increase the risk of heart attack. People who already have heart disease are at especially high risk.2
* Secondhand smoke exposure causes respiratory symptoms in children and slows their lung growth.2
* Secondhand smoke causes sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more frequent and severe asthma attacks in children.2
* There is no risk-free level of secondhand smoke exposure. Even brief exposure can be dangerous.2
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Yes we've seen how much the government needs to protect us from everything. Whether it's smoking in our apartments, trans fats, marijuana, or poker, it feels great to sacrifice my individual liberties to make sure I'm safe from myself.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...dhandSmoke.htm

Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke Exposure

* Secondhand smoke exposure causes a feeling of inadequacy when the bystander realizes that since he doesn't smoke, he is obviously far less cool.2
* Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their heart disease risk by some numbers we just made up arbitrarily and their lung cancer risk by a similarly fictional figure.2
* Breathing secondhand smoke has immediate pleasurable effects on the cardiovascular system that can increase the risk of actually enjoying your life. People who already have heart disease are fuct anyway so who cares.2
* Secondhand smoke exposure causes respiratory symptoms in children and slows their lung growth--but seriously, who gives a f*ck about children?.2
* Secondhand smoke causes sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more frequent and severe asthma attacks in children, all of which are great reasons to smoke around children.2
* There is no risk-free level of any behavior whatsoever, and despite your best attempts to the contrary you are going to die one day so you might as well stop being a huge nit about it.2

[/ QUOTE ]