Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Golf NVG thread

Like the forum in the subject, this should serve as a good low-content thread. Probably more "G" than the other two but we'll see how it goes.

Guys I know some stuff about not just from the media:

Tim Clark - nice guy, respected, loves to drink.

Vijay Singh - great sense of humor per John Daly, my mother swears he was a huge PITA to volunteers at the John Deere tournament but I'm inclined to like Veej so would prefer this to be false. Particularly as since we have heard he's very popular among tour players.

Ted Purdy - OK this is a bit of a reach since he's not a marquee player (although he flirted with making the President's Cup until he had an off year in 2007), but he was on my HS golf team and won the Byron Nelson and lost in a several hole playoff to Stewart Cink at Harbour Town one year. Super nice guy, currently working with a hard-core personal trainer (the guy charges like $800/person/month and teaches only group sessions) and has dropped a ton of weight. Hoping for big things in 2008.

John Daly - likes to piss on tarmacs and make fun of one-armed people.

This is just trying to get the ball started. I know I have some more - and hopefully better - ones, but personaly experiences with and resulting opinions of pros should be interesting.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Golf NVG thread

[ QUOTE ]

Vijay Singh - great sense of humor per John Daly, my mother swears he was a huge PITA to volunteers at the John Deere tournament but I'm inclined to like Veej so would prefer this to be false. Particularly as since we have heard he's very popular among tour players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I was always under the impression that Vij had a reputation as a first class a hole.

Tuq, do you still keep in touch with Ted Purdy? What was he like in HS?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Holybull,

Ted still lives here, I don't see him very often though. A friend's wife works out with him at that studio and said he's lost a ridiculous amount of weight and looks great. No doubt part of it is quitting drinking - he loved to drink, and this trainer's brutal regimen includes no alcohol whatsoever.

Ted has always been a nice guy, just really laid back. Kind of what people think Fred Couples would be like. His parents divorced before we were in HS and after we won both state titles his father let us get trashed at his place. Say what you want about that as adults, but of course as kids we thought it was awesome. One of those nights was the first time I smoked a cigarette (thankfully one of the last) and the first time I drank tequila. Of course, I managed to throw up both nights and had to pay his father for the dry cleaning expenses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM

At LSU, David Toms carried in his bag a horseshoe that had been blessed by a voodoo witchdoctor.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM

When I went to the Masters practice rounds in 2000, almost all the Americans were snobby-didn't interact at all with the crowd (especially Fred Couples) and almost all the Europeans were joking with the fans. Got a really good spot behind 15 tee, not more than four steps behind the markers. Daly hits his drive then hands a ball and his driver to a kid, probably 8 or 9 years old and asks him if he wants to hit one. Watching that kid get to hit that drive was awesome.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I went to the Masters practice rounds in 2000, almost all the Americans were snobby-didn't interact at all with the crowd (especially Fred Couples) and almost all the Europeans were joking with the fans. Got a really good spot behind 15 tee, not more than four steps behind the markers. Daly hits his drive then hands a ball and his driver to a kid, probably 8 or 9 years old and asks him if he wants to hit one. Watching that kid get to hit that drive was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of suprising what you said about Couples. I have been lucky enough to walk along side him inside the ropes for an entire round at this pro-am thing locally cause a friend of mine is very good friends with him. He was very talkative and outgoing towards us. The thing that impressed me even more was that he remembered who I was because I had been introduced to him by the same friend about 6 months prior at the AT&T Pebble Beach tournament and walked a few holes with him inside and he remembered who I was. I have always thought of him as probably one of the better guys on tour.

IMO Vijay is a jackass. My friends and I call him the snake-charmer for various reasons.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 AM

Couples wasn't a jerk or anything and I only saw him for a couple holes, so I'm sure your experience is more valid, but he just didn't ever acknowledge the crowd at all.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 AM

I heard Tiger railed Phil Mickelson's wife in the [censored] like three times so far this offseason.
I'm sure others will confirm.