Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

No, I wasn't saying "GOD IT TOOK THEM FOREVER", I was saying "if it looks better on PS3 that's prob because they had a long time to work on it between 360 and PS3 launches."
Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I wasn't saying "GOD IT TOOK THEM FOREVER", I was saying "if it looks better on PS3 that's prob because they had a long time to work on it between 360 and PS3 launches."

[/ QUOTE ]

And what I was saying is 'so what'?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..you can't kid yourself saying that the 360 is the end all be all of next gen gaming. It definitely has its faults and while the library of games is big, I feel there isn't enough variety.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

What sort of games do you want? The 360 now has great titles in RPG, action, FPS, music games, 'creature farming', fighting, free roaming action/adventure, sports, tactical shooters, countless puzzle games / classic coin-op style games / strategy / etc on live, etc.. And then quirky games like Overlord.

Just confused here. Obviously the library can and will get much larger, but even right now - there's a ton of variety.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
..you can't kid yourself saying that the 360 is the end all be all of next gen gaming. It definitely has its faults and while the library of games is big, I feel there isn't enough variety.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

What sort of games do you want? The 360 now has great titles in RPG, action, FPS, music games, 'creature farming', fighting, free roaming action/adventure, sports, tactical shooters, countless puzzle games / classic coin-op style games / strategy / etc on live, etc.. And then quirky games like Overlord.

Just confused here. Obviously the library can and will get much larger, but even right now - there's a ton of variety.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it seems like the best games right now are FPS shooters and racing games. Elder Scrolls, Eternal Sonata, and Blue Dragon are filling in the RPG section now but they won't last forever. Maybe what Xbox 360 needs is more games by Japanese developers. I'm really looking forward to Katamari, more RPGs, Resident Evil 5, and some other games I'm forgetting.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

True, but it seems like the best games right now are FPS shooters and racing games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is more of a side effect of those being the most popular game types. There are definitely great games out in other varieties you just don't really hear about them.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

True, but it seems like the best games right now are FPS shooters and racing games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is more of a side effect of those being the most popular game types. There are definitely great games out in other varieties you just don't really hear about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... no. The top 10 best games for the 360 are either shooters, racers, Guitar Hero, or Oblivion. Check it out.

I'm not saying that the library isn't big, because it is. It's just that there isn't a big variety in really captivating games, and really, that's what I want from a game. Getting my 360 and Halo along w/ having resistance gives me all the shooting games I'll need for the next few years. I already have Oblivion and GH on other systems and don't like racers. I'm going to try Eternal Sonata, but don't really have my hopes up about it. I'm really waiting for another KOTOR, but after that I'm really hoping a developer makes a non-shooter/racing games that is great for the 360.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Going by the top ten is an incredibly ignorant way to gauge the variety of a system - as has been pointed out to you in other threads as well AceLuby yet you keep bringing it up. Here's gamerankings top 10 highest rated list for the PS2:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3. Grand Theft Auto III
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
5. Gran Turismo 3
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
8. Pro Evolution Soccer 2
9. God of War
10. Burnout 3: Takedown

Wow, what do you know. Nothing but shooters/action and sports/racing. The PS2 must have had [censored] for variety then, right?

I'll ask again, what sort of games do you want - or are you just trolling? You've alluded to RPGs. So far there is Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Oblivion and some folks even liked Two Worlds. By the end of the year you can add Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey to that list. If you fancy the online variety you can also add Phantasy Star Universe and even Final Fantasy XI.

Blackize was 100% spot on. The top games are almost going to be action/shooters/racing/etc. RPGs and other less 'mainstream' games are often somewhat polarizing games - even amongst reviewers. And their reviews as well as sales will reflect that, meaning you're rarely going to ever find them in top ten lists. I mean if you just go by top ten, you'd think there was never a decent RPG or 'quirky' game on the PS2.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:07 PM

When I ran it a couple of weeks ago all I got was shooters and racers and I was disappointed and the games not in the top 10 didn't get very good reviews. That was my basis. Obviously there are some new games that just came out that are doing well such as NBA 2K8 and Skate. Did you not read that I'm going to try Eternal Sonata? My personal opionion is that the next gen games, besides a few like bioshock, halo, and a few sports games, have disappointed me. I'm not trying to bash anything, and I apologize if it looks as though I'm trolling. I'm really not. I'm just in dismay owning both systems and not having a plethora of great games to go to. Maybe I'm in a niche market that doesn't go out and buy every decent game, but I'm waiting on a good game that I can waste a lot of hours on and besides the forementioned games I feel unsatisfied.

Again Dire, I apologize if you feel I'm trolling, I'm just trying to throw my opinion out there on a community forum for people to take or leave at their discretion.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

True, but it seems like the best games right now are FPS shooters and racing games. Elder Scrolls, Eternal Sonata, and Blue Dragon are filling in the RPG section now but they won't last forever. Maybe what Xbox 360 needs is more games by Japanese developers. I'm really looking forward to Katamari, more RPGs, Resident Evil 5, and some other games I'm forgetting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums up my thoughts very well.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going by the top ten is an incredibly ignorant way to gauge the variety of a system - as has been pointed out to you in other threads as well AceLuby yet you keep bringing it up. Here's gamerankings top 10 highest rated list for the PS2:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3. Grand Theft Auto III
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
5. Gran Turismo 3
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
8. Pro Evolution Soccer 2
9. God of War
10. Burnout 3: Takedown

Wow, what do you know. Nothing but shooters/action and sports/racing. The PS2 must have had [censored] for variety then, right?

I'll ask again, what sort of games do you want - or are you just trolling? You've alluded to RPGs. So far there is Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Oblivion and some folks even liked Two Worlds. By the end of the year you can add Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey to that list. If you fancy the online variety you can also add Phantasy Star Universe and even Final Fantasy XI.

Blackize was 100% spot on. The top games are almost going to be action/shooters/racing/etc. RPGs and other less 'mainstream' games are often somewhat polarizing games - even amongst reviewers. And their reviews as well as sales will reflect that, meaning you're rarely going to ever find them in top ten lists. I mean if you just go by top ten, you'd think there was never a decent RPG or 'quirky' game on the PS2.

[/ QUOTE ]

that ps2 list blows the top 10 360 games out of the water dire...360 has nothing close to a gt3 quality racing game or a quality action game like RE4.

i know you get offended easily but these are legitimate gripes that are being made and microsoft hasnt met their needs