Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Tilt Monster Chap. serious problem.

Alright, So i have a huge tilt problem.

I consider myself a good player. When I am not on tilt i can win at small stakes and mid stakes. I will play very solid for a week or so and will take some beats and not care. The day I take a few 2-5 outters in a row, I FLIP OUT. I usually move up about 2-3 levels and put my whole bankroll on the table. When I move up, i am not necessarily playing that bad, it is just that I am bound to lose if everytime I go on tilt if I put my whole bankroll on the table. I guess it isn't exactley tilt, it is more of just a moving up or BR management problem.

so basically my problem is, everytime I lose a few tough ones, i move up putting my whole bankroll on 2-4 tables. We all know when you put your whole roll on the table you are bound to lose eventually which I do.

Any suggestions about ways to stop when I lose these tough hands?

Is the only answer really to quit poker if I hate variance can't stand variance this much?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Tilt Monster Chap. serious problem.

Two suggestions:

1) Move down to where you won't get so upset if you get stacked a few times.

2) Try to quit playing before you're on tilt. If you take a really bad beat or two, call it a night right then. Stop playing while you're still in control of your emotions. I find once I'm really on tilt, there's no stoping me until I've lost a lot. So quit before then.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM

I hear you. It's one thing to accept the concepts of variance at an intellectual level...and another thing to temper one's emotions when the downswings keep coming.

Moving to higher limits as a way to "catch up" or "make up" for bad beats is a temptation that exaggerates the tilting sensation, but it is equally self-defeating.

Unfortunately, living with variance is a skill one must sharpen and refine...and it is a skill that will be put to the test often.

To Tilt or Not To Tilt is a matter of complex choices over which we have some control; whereas the cards and the actions of others are the true variables that will not easily conform to our willful desires and expectations.

Make a game of the game...it's not rocket science [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Just play the same level, or preferably move down. Even better, take a break

When taking shots, make sure you are def. on your A game. Taking a tilted C game to a higher limits is the equivalent of flushing $ down the dunny