Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Don\'t be this guy

If you announce first, you can then take all the time you want to sort, collect, and stack your chips. Problem solved.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That puts players in the 1 or 10 seats at a disadvantage, since to effectively cut out chips behind their cards would leave the cards exposed for the dealer to mistakenly swipe. Of course, they could put a chip on the cards to protect them, but isn't that then a call via these nit rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, I like where this is going.

"His cards are pushed forward! It's a muck! There's a chip on the cards that went past the betting line! It's a call! Muck! Call! Muck! Call! AAAAAAHHHHH!!""

* head asplode *
Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Yep, gotta love those guys.

Along with the guys that are regular in the room, yet still stop the game to ask questions on an obvious rule that they've asked about before, countless times, yet act like this is the first time they've ever heard the rule.

In those guys case, I think it's more about getting attention. But god you just want to hit them upside the head and ask them, 'how long have you been in the room? Has it EVER changed?'

Oh, and betting lines suck!

b
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An easy solution to players that have issues with getting additional chips (i.e. String betting) out there, or players that play in places without betting lines, is the following:

Simply announce your bet amount before you even touch your chips. I HIGHLY recommend this for two reasons.

1. You get to see a physical reaction from your opponant. When I announce my bet amount or raise amount, I always am looking at my opponant. I get to see his reflexive reaction to me bet amount. A lot of the time, I will get nothing, but the few times I do get a read or reaction, it is often worth its weight in gold.

2. There is NO issue with having to worry about getting everything out all at once or strng betting. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is great for cash games, but it isn't always that easy in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry. I don't understand why you find it more difficult to announce a bet in a tournament then in a cash game.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry. I don't understand why you find it more difficult to announce a bet in a tournament then in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it could be if you were unfamiliar with the values of the chips. Also what the "announce your bet" crowd ignores is that NL players sometimes need to count first. They want to count their own stack to see if an action is worth taking etc. In the old days this was not an issue, but people are wanting to make this like a limit game where moving forward can be considered a bet.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it could be if you were unfamiliar with the values of the chips. Also what the "announce your bet" crowd ignores is that NL players sometimes need to count first.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are unfamilar with the value of the chips, then how do you bet? Just push out a stack that looks pretty?
Count sideways, not forward.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 AM

I believe in announcing your action when calling or raising. Verbal declarations make things a little easier if something unusual comes up especially WHEN YOU'RE NEW TO LIVE PLAY. Announce your action and if you need assistance the dealer will help. It's to answer a question than to call a floor to settle a dispute or to fix some mess.

If you're experienced, familiar and comfortable with the other players and the house, fine, you can relax as you see fit. But, when in doubt it's never a bad thing to protect your action.

Now, if you don't even know the standard color/denoms (or if the house has some unfamiliar scheme), announce your action, and ask the dealer for help - it's part of their purpose. It's too late when you throw out four yellow cheques to call a 100 bet, when you really meant four green.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 AM

I don't have any problems like that in any room, anywhere. Now I understand that my being a Super-Genius :-) has a lot to do with my ease in avoiding these situations. But with a couple years practice, and a whole lot more floor calls (plus the moaning, don't forget the moaning), even this guy might eventually get it right.

Al
Old 04-06-2007, 01:16 AM

1st - Betting lines do not allow for my giant bag of cheesy cheeto cheezy puffy cheezy poofs.

2nd - Watch Brian Townsend on HSP stack and count and restack and reshuffle and recount, all in front of his cards... continuously... Does that annoy anyone else?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd - Watch Brian Townsend on HSP stack and count and restack and reshuffle and recount, all in front of his cards... continuously... Does that annoy anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this, but no, it wouldn't bother me. His intent, I'm sure, is clear. When he's counting, he's obviously counting, not betting. Until someone makes an obvious forward motion with a pile o chips, he hasn't bet. Easy.

I don't like the "edge of cards is your betting line" rule. And I don't like betting lines on the table. I know a bet when I see it and it doesn't require lines or cards to recognize.