Default Re: Gets my vote for Sprotsman of the Year

[ QUOTE ]
Sidney Crosby

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a nice story and he handled himself well, but I don't see how this is anything close to deserving for Sprotsman of the Year

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Journeyman pitcher cracks jokes because he's in the same room with 2 HOFers and a future HOFer. So what?

I guess you can't give the award to Tiger Woods every year. But come on. 7 wins in 16 events is surely better than giving up an HR to Bonds.

And why not give it to the guy who gave up 762? After all, that's the record now.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM

tuq,

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are the odds that he grooves that pitch to become part of history?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I think Sprotsman of the Year should be a new award--I am the first winner obv.

He didn't groove it, I talked to him a few days before that start and a lot since, even since we have both been back home. He said before the game he wasn't going to walk him and that he was going to challenge him--he isn't an overpowering pitcher but he is also the type of pitcher that doesn't give in. His comment about the pitch was that he just flat out missed--tried to do too much instead of just hitting his spot and left the ball up and over the heart of the plate. His quote to me was, "84 and hitting your spot gets him out but 88 and grooved gets you in trouble," no matter how hard he tried to throw it, he wasn't throwing anything by any hitter in the league, that isn't the way he pitches.

[ QUOTE ]
Journeyman pitcher cracks jokes because he's in the same room with 2 HOFers and a future HOFer. So what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had nothing to do with a couple of cracked jokes. It had to do with being in total obscurity and all of the sudden having every camera and microphone suddenly in your face wanting to talk to you and showing the world what some of us already knew--that he was a great guy. There is a reason he was commentating during the playoffs and they asked him to come back next year and they didn't ask a single other guest commentator to come back next year.

He shocked everyone w/ his likability, the people who knew him knew what kind of guy he is but once this explosion happened now everyone seemed to know--that is what the story was about, not a couple jokes.

Also, to be an intern and LOVED as an intern on our local sports radio show The Ticket you have to be witty, funny, and likable--not a douche.

Jack,

Do you really take the SI awards seriously?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM

fwiw, karch kiraly is almost certainly the best volleyball player ever, and surely the best beach player ever

he's the tony hawk of beach volleyball
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM

If you were going to pick someone from every sport, you think they would include Federer/Nadal
Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, karch kiraly is almost certainly the best volleyball player ever, and surely the best beach player ever

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

I also miss the Karaly/Kent Steffes (Lambert), Sinjin Smith/Randy Stoklos days.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then he did what Bonds never could. He laughed at himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who write this pathetic drivel?

ESPN has a Barry Bond addiction problem.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also miss the Karaly/Kent Steffes (Lambert), Sinjin Smith/Randy Stoklos days.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even know who the guys on the tour are anymore, other than one of them married Kerri Walsh. Speaking of which:

As a certified Ass Man, every time I find myself channel surfing and come across women's pro beach volleyball I stop whatever I'm doing and watch.

tdarko, who do you think will make more in their career (endorsements included if that's not too complicated): Misty May or her husband?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tdarko, who do you think will make more in their career (endorsements included if that's not too complicated): Misty May or her husband?

[/ QUOTE ]

Misty May ldo. Big May fan right here btw.

FWIW, I was into those male v-ballers for a couple reasons, 1) they were so damn good and watching them was fun--it was like Agassi/Sampras and 2) I wasn't into chicks yet when I was watching them, so it was viewing for the purpose of sport...now I view volleyball for the purpose of female ass.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM

The article is absolutely horrible, the exact thing RedBean talks about in his posts re: the media.

Oh Mike Bacsik, you're so nice -- win Sportsman of the Year plz. You made that big bad wolf Bonds so much more tolerable.