Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Default My house smells like gas or is emitting some odd fumes...

It's been about a day now since i first noticed an odd gas like smell in my apartment. There are no gas appliances or heaters in these apartments so i'm not sure where it's coming from.

What's really odd about this is that the gas resembling smell is ONLY in the very back right corner of the bedroom where my computer is. When i walk around the house there is no smell...not in the living room, the kitchen, the dining room nor either of the two closets in the bedroom. It's just specifically the VERY back of the bedroom near the wall.

Is this my imagination or some [censored]? I have no clue what this could be or where it's coming from. I have checked over the ENTIRE APARTMENT and can't find anything that would create and obscure smell that resembles that of gas. The only remaining option is to ask my neighbors. Which...well i don't want to because i'm not a very social person even though i've lived here for almost two years.

I also live across the street from across the street from DOW if any of you know what that is, i think that might also be a possible source. I've been keeping the window in the bedroom open while i sleep or just mess around online/play poker/whatever and the smell seems to only be getting worse.

Wtf is my line here? Do i call the cops? Wait until a decent hour and ask my neighbors if they smell anything? I walked around outside to see if maybe there was something left out from landscapping (yeah, [censored] up long shot i know but i'm going crazy over this) and found nothing.

What are some common household devices or chemicals (i have very few in here) that may emit obscure gas resembling smells? It's getting to the point where i rub my eyes and they seem irritated.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Re: My house smells like gas or is emitting some odd fumes...

I don't really have any advice, because it's hard to figure something like this out without being in the apartment. I just wanted to say ...

[ QUOTE ]
Do i call the cops?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf is my line here? Do i call the cops?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you call your landlord. Are you retarded?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Tried that and there's no response...left messages and whatever. What [censored] apartment offices are open on sunday morning?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wtf is my line here? Do i call the cops?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you call your landlord. Are you retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the OP's description of the problem, what do you expect the landlord to do?

Instead, the OP should knock on the door of the people whose wall abuts his back room, and ask if they have anything in their apartment which might be causing this smell.

P.S. I'm a landlord, and its frustrating to get phone calls from one of the idiot twenty-one year olds to whom I've rented, who call with the following types of problems:

1. "There is a weird smell in my bathroom."--my handyman went to investigate, and stated that there was nothing wrong with any of the fixtures, and that the couple needed to start washing the floor in there--especially behind the toilet.

2. [From a different group] "The toilet isn't flushing."--fortunately, I was able to diagnose this over the phone...turned out the chain inside the tank had come loose from the black, rubber flapper. Of course, the fact that they were already reaching into the tank to lift the flapper by hand meant they kind of knew what the problem was. Yet, apparently they couldn't figure out on their own the plan to clear the tank by turning off the water, which would have allowed them to easily reattach the chain.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:23 AM

mecca,

See my reponse to Ed.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 AM

I'm actually a pretty self sufficient tenant. I very very very rarely ask anyone for anything in this complex. The only problem i ever had was when the ceiling was GREEN in a corner of my room and the management tried to tell me it was moisture in the sheet rock and not mold.

I usually fix things myself especially those involving common sense like faucets, toilets, doors or whatever have you.

I like being called an idiot 20 year old though. That's awesome.

P.S. I'm a neat freak by nature and the smell is not coming from unwashed floor or food left out or whatever.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 AM

If you think it is gas and want some response call the gas company. If you think it is from the DOW (I assume it's a chemical plant and not the stock indicator) call them or one of those annoying investigative reporters. You should probably man up and talk to your neighbors too.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the gas resembling smell is ONLY in the very back right corner of the bedroom where my computer is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's your computer.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM

what do you consider the smell of gas? what do you smell? gasoline or natural gas or what?