Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 10:37 AM

Default 77 vs AK, AvgSizedPenis VS MUCKEM, 5/10 nl old party

This is a hand from about 1-2 months ago iirc? Its deep in my pt archives so I am not looking to attempt to load a database.

Here's the scoop. Its recently become 3 handed. Seat 4 = Fish. Seat 5 = Me. Seat 6 = CTS/MUCKEM. Fish has 1k. Both cts and I have 1500.

I'm in the small blind with 77. Suits are irrelevant. Sure spades are lucky but thats not what this thread is about. Continueing on...

I open for 40 in the small blind. Cts 3bets to 140 or something akin to that (you know, a normal 3bet). I decide I like my hand a lot. Sometimes I get this vibe where I can tell if my pocket pair is good 3 handed. This vibe comes in when i have 77+ about 77% of the time. I dont use a dice like RikaKazak though, I just use my internal clock which happens to be set to the variations of both sun and moon. I then 4bet to around 450 or 500. CTS pushes allin and I call quickly (since my decision to call an allin was made when I made my 4bet... I DID have a plan). Party poker runs it once, no ace or king comes, and 77 holds up.

After the hand, CTS said that he KNEW I had a hand like 77 after I made that huge 4bet. He thought he would get me to fold it for 100bb more. That was not the case.

I submit that if CTS *knew* I had 77 that there was a much better play available to him. That play would be to call my 4bet and push ai over all my flop bets. On all flops its very likely for there to be 1-2 overcards, and from my perspective, it would look more planned on his part (as if he had kk/aa). Calling the flop imo would be much harder than merely going ai preflop with an aggressive player in whats likely a coinflip situation. Furthermore, it would be a hard call with 77 on many flops full of unders (ie 225 flop)... it only gets easier if its like 346 with a flushdraw. Plus, he will likely pick off a cbet when an ace or king does flop.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: 77 vs AK, AvgSizedPenis VS MUCKEM, 5/10 nl old party

are you really going to bet the flop when he calls your 4-bet? which flops? all of them? it's not like you're 250bb deep here
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 AM

I dont know if Id bet all flops but in the heat of the action my cbet % is pretty high. I realize we only have 150bbs here but I think the point still standds though.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 AM

you'll only have a psb left if he calls the 4-bet. what size will your c-bet be that allows you to fold to a push? if you were deeper i'd agree a call might be best, if he really could put you on a middling pair then i like his line. lets him see the turn/river, better fold equity and shania considerations.