Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Flop trip 8\'s with 7 8 9 rainbow board

So I'm playing in a typical home game, and I'm UTG + 1, UTG raises 3x bigblind and I have pocket 8's, I was feeling lucky so I call. Dealer also calls UTG's raise. Flop comes 789, I have pocket 8s. UTG goes all in, I call, then dealer, who has about even chips with me as chipleader, also goes all in. I'm thinking to myself what can he possibly have, and come very close to folding, hes a pretty tight player but has been known to bluff on large pots with draws. I think about it, finally call.

results in white

<font color="white"> He turns over 6 10
but I also rivered a 7 to pair board with a fullhouse and I wound up taking it down
UTG had pocket queens and lost </font>
Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Flop trip 8\'s with 7 8 9 rainbow board

To determine whether your play was reasonable or terrible, we need to see the stack sizes. It would also help to know how many players there were. Labelling someone as UTG isn't enough, as you need to indicate whether they were 3 off the button or 7 off the button.

First, how large were the stacks in relation to the 3 BB raise? If the stacks were 30 BB or less, then you can't profitably call with 88 for set value. If you don't think you can get value from the the times an 8 doesn't come on the flop, you should fold. You might not be able to call profitably with much larger stacks, either, but it's a more reasonable call if the stacks are over 60 BB.

Second, the stack sizes affect your decision of whether to call rather than raise after UTG's push, and whether to call when the button pushes. If UTG's push was much more than the size of the pot, you don't need to raise to protect your hand from a draw. If it was smaller than the pot, you should probably raise. 16 cards will put 4 cards to a straight on the board. You don't want someone to draw to a straight cheaply, or to push you out with two pair when you check the turn.

Third, if the button's raise was smaller than the size of the pot, you have an easy call even if you are sure he has a straight, because you have a draw to a full house. If the raise was much larger, then you have something to think about.

Please don't put the results in the initial post, even in white, if you want strategy advice. It's ok if you just want to tell a story, but it will bias the advice you get, as people will often rationalize plays that look right given the results instead of giving you the percentage play.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Flop trip 8\'s with 7 8 9 rainbow board

Alright let me try and remember, I had about $50 in chips, the guy with queens was first to act, one off the button, and he had about $15 in chips, and then the third man in had about $51 in chips, blinds were $.50-$1, it was kinda turbo sng game.