Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 AM

Default Trip Report

gf and I show up to the Tea Room around 8:00 and Wax Fang is already playing. The crowd is larger than expected (probably just early for the MMJ show, heh) and not really into the show. "Majestic" is really the only song that got everyone going and is very cool song. Overall the band was comical but nothing special. The drummer does kick ass though.

At 9:00 MMJ went on. The lights go out and everyone goes nuts (standard), then they break into "It Beats 4 U." The concert was incredible, it was a divided mix of It Still Moves and Z. They played for a little over two and a half hours and the music had incredible range--from somber ambience to kick ass rock that drove the crowd into a frenzy. They are the type of band that may sound better live.

The best songs of the night were Magheeta, One Big Holiday, Golden, It Beats 4 U, Wordless Chorus, Off The Record, What a Wonderful Man, I should probably stop.

On the way back to my car a normal looking guy stops us and says, "is there a way I can get $2.50 from one of you. I lost my bus pass and don't have any money. Bro, I am not a bum or anything, sorry this sounds weird." I am usually an ass and kind of laugh at him but don't reach for my pockets b/c I don't have singles or change. My gf says, "well you look normal...here," and gives him the money.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Trip Report

Damn, I need to read 2p2 more often. I would have gone to this. Anyway, I've actually seen them at the same venue in Nov. '05 and they were awesome.

Don't all bums say they aren't bums?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Default Re: My Morning Jacket at the Gypsey Tea Room (Dallas)--Tomorrow Night!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My Morning Jacket is awesome.
Aaaaand obviously they're not coming to Houston. Nobody does. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe Houston Police should spend less time beating and tasering the music groups that actually do come to town.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, when the time comes to go i won't miss it too much
Old 11-19-2006, 05:33 PM

I saw My Morning Jacket last night at Stubb's, it was absolutely amazing. This was hands down the best show I have ever seen in my entire life, and I am not bullshitting you. Everyone in the band was tight, Jim James was fantastic, the sound was perfect, the lights and fog machine were nothing short of psychedelic, no stop was left unpulled. Rock rock rock ROCK ROCK ROCK!

this guy said it better than I can:

[ QUOTE ]
It was shortest gig in My Morning Jacket history. Almost. After a perfectly suspenseful pause once the roadies had made the set perfectly functionable, My Morning Jacket came crashing out with all their sparkle and spangle, thundering through their one song, bringing it to its roaring and almost interminable end. The band then came to the front of the stage, pretending to be winded, towel-clad, bidding “Good night!” with several rounds of “Thank you Austin!”

They then left the stage.

The assembly, for the most part, got the joke. There was a barrage of applause and laughter while one young man near me barked how lame that was. But a large section of the crowd farcically started chanting, “One more song! One more song!” and “Encore!! Encore!!” Morning Jacket then came back out and continued to play for the better part of three hours.

As with all the truly great live bands, it takes a few songs for them to truly warm up, but once they have, MMJ are unsurpassed in their ability to convey emotion, elation, nuance, exuberance and joy. Swooping from style to style, pedal steel laden ballads to reggae, 12-bar blues to techno—the sounds they create are really none of those things yet all of those things. They don’t really sound like anything or anybody else and yet you hear all these influences clearly.

Their lyrics are impressionistic and even though it is difficult to discern exactly what those lyrics are, they will take you on some sort of peregrination. And oh boy, what peregrinations! If you just let go of any ideas of where you want to go, they will take you wherever… let them take you, you will somehow know that you will return safely and find yourself smiling broadly.

These seem to be truly sweet young men, and delightfully handsome despite the abundant whiskers with which all but one are in varying degrees adorned. They are partly Grizzly Adams or even something out of Deadwood and part squeezy toy. They look like genuinely kind, blissful, humorous and silly people. Silly in the good sense, light-hearted and devoid of arrogance and self-importance. They are Peter Pan meets Neil Young and Crazy Horse or, if you prefer, Spinal Tap meets The Muppet Show.

They play with such commitment and love for the flight and the soar. To experience them live is to go on a glimmering journey of sound and light, emotion and spirit. It was a magical evening as it always is with “The Jacket”. It is always a pleasure and always a wonder of ebullience, buoyancy and jubilation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in one of the following cities, buying a ticket to their show will be one of the best decisions you've ever made.

NOVEMBER
20 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
21 Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theatre
22 Louisville, KY - Louisville Gardens
24 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre
25 Indianapolis, IN - Clowes Memorial Hall
27 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
28 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
30 New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

(full tour schedule)
Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
gf and I show up to the Tea Room around 8:00 and Wax Fang is already playing. The crowd is larger than expected (probably just early for the MMJ show, heh) and not really into the show. "Majestic" is really the only song that got everyone going and is very cool song. Overall the band was comical but nothing special. The drummer does kick ass though.

At 9:00 MMJ went on. The lights go out and everyone goes nuts (standard), then they break into "It Beats 4 U." The concert was incredible, it was a divided mix of It Still Moves and Z. They played for a little over two and a half hours and the music had incredible range--from somber ambience to kick ass rock that drove the crowd into a frenzy. They are the type of band that may sound better live.

The best songs of the night were Magheeta, One Big Holiday, Golden, It Beats 4 U, Wordless Chorus, Off The Record, What a Wonderful Man, I should probably stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw them at Roseland last night in NYC. Unbelievable show...they played for about 2 hrs, 15 minutes with maybe a 10-minute break.

I quoted tdarko's TR because it sounds very similar to last night.

Going into the show, I thought they were a pretty good, but not great, band. They have 50x more energy live and I would recommend them to anyone who loves live, rockin music.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM

I saw them last night in NYC at the Roseland. Incredible incredible show. I hadn't heard much of them, except for what for what the girl I went with played for me but the performance was one of my top three favorite concerts. These guys are awesome and are a good mix of jam, rock, reggae, and trip.

We missed the opener but got there and got to the front right as MMJ was starting, everyone in the audience rocked out. Only bad part was afterwards when the lights come on and you get that look at all the people around you who are suddenly very shooken up.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM

MMJ opened for Pearl Jam last year and I have recently been seriously regretting the fact I didn't go in early to see them.

I saw them on concert.net(?) on Comcast OnDemand (free) a couple days ago and they seem really frickin cool. They also seem like they have a great live show, much like Pearl Jam.