Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 AM

Default How is this?

Summary: We had a take home final exam and I helped some people with it. Our answers looked the same and we got caught and accused of cheating. I have to write a 1-2 page paper about what I learned from the process. Need to know if this sounds good.

Short Essay:

The Dangers of Take Home Finals

If I learned anything from this process is that take home final exams are much worse than regular final exams. When you get a take home final exam you are put in a very difficult situation. If you have any friends in the class they will always want to work on it with you. If you refuse to help them you will lose favor with them, but if you help them out you end up in the situation I am currently in. As my mother would say, “you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t.” Either you become the guy who refused to help them and have to deal with all your old friends giving you the stink eye or the guy who cheated. I believe take home exams are unfair for students and believe take home exams should be abolished.
If I could go back in time to the day when I got the take home exam I would have turned off my phone and I wouldn’t have checked my email. I have thought about what I could have done to not help the people I helped and I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I could have done is not take their calls and emails. It wasn’t a complex cheating situation where the people asking for my help were being malicious. They simply called and emailed me saying, “How are you doing with the work? I am having a lot of problems with the work, how about we work on it together?” I don’t consider that the same as someone coming up with a complex cheating operation to try and beat the system because it wasn’t that. I believe I was in the wrong for helping them, but I firmly believe that the only way I could have avoided my current situation would have been by ignoring their calls and emails. I will never cheat again because I don’t plan on taking any more classes with take home final exams ever again and if I do happen to end up in a class that has a take home final exam I will simply turn off my phone and will not check my email. I believe overall I learned an important lesson, “You shouldn’t always do everything you can to help others.”

Need some quick replies. Due Tomorrow at 2pm. Crap I wait till the last minute too much, I suck. I think I come off like a douche in this essay, but its how I really feel.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: How is this?

Only read the first few sentences... but your thesis should probably be along the lines of a lesson learned or the morality of "cheating" or something - not why take-homes suck.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Don't do this. They don't care. Just write something apologetic and be done with it.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 AM

DONT DO THIS. No good can come from this. Think with your brain, and don't try so hard to prove your point. If you are not automatically being failed for cheating, then be thankful; you're lucky you only have to write a 2 page paper.

Seriously, no good can come from this. Write an apology and be done with it.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM

lol wow. i guess you didn't learn your lesson.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:07 PM

::shoots self::
Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Good job posting this on the internet. Now when they search for your paper they will instantly find it and accuse you of plagiarism.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM

I see the just say sorry idea...and if that is ok with you then do it. Otherwise, right what you feel....you should clean that up some and just make it a nice well done piece

I love take homes though
Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Ok I ended up turning in something else because everyone seemed to hate my honest opinion. I wrote a page saying I was wrong and blah blah blah. Thanks for the input to those that replied.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 AM

Thoughts: 2p2 was clearly right here.

More thoughts: The next time I want to do something so ridiculously dumb, I should post it on 2p2 first.