Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Who is to blame?

My mom and my dad have been driving for about 40 years. My dad has been in about 6 accidents and overall isnt a great driver. My mom hasnt been in any accidents that I can remember and I regard her as a really careful driver. Thats probably why she has never been in any accidents. My mom was just in a minor traffic accident and I am trying to figure out who was to blame. I wasnt there, but I asked her all the details and want to see what OOT thinks and also want to know WTF I should I tell her to do.

She said she looked both ways and she saw a car, but that it was really far away and she said she turned. She had completed the turn when she got hit from behind by the other car. Had this been my dad I probably would have said he didnt really look carefully, but knowing my mom I am almost 100% certain that she thought she not only could make it, but could easily make it. She wouldnt even consider turning if it might be in any way close because she is ultra careful when driving.

She said she didnt want to call the cops. Good? Bad? The guy had a scratch in his car and my mom's car had a really small scratch. I think the guy wants my mom to pay to fix the scratch in his car because he believes it was her fault. I dont know if it was her fault, but based on how it happened it sounds like he tried to beat a yellow light and ended up hitting someone. What does OOT think? What should I tell her to do? I have never been in an accident so I dont really know what to do in this spot.

Edit:Got it. MS paint visual. M is my mom's car and D is the Dude's car.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Who is to blame?

regardless of who is truly to blame, i think she holds the cards in this spot. if you rear end someone it's really tough to prove you were not at fault.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Sounds like even though the guy who hit her was going too fast and not paying much attention, your mom is at fault since he had the right of way and she failed to yield to him.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regardless of who is truly to blame, i think she holds the cards in this spot. if you rear end someone there's really no way to prove you were not at fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mom wins, although it seems both parents suck at driving, but in different ways.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
regardless of who is truly to blame, i think she holds the cards in this spot. if you rear end someone there's really no way to prove you were not at fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mom wins, although it seems both parents suck at driving, but in different ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I said this, mr bigshot lawyer came on here and told me how wrong I was.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Oh, wait a minute---She makes an illegal right hand turn and he is unable to slow down in time and hits her in the rear. Her fault, she did not safetly yield to the on-coming traffic.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM

if she was str8 on rear ended other guys to blame 99% of the time The excuse being you saw what was ahead of you and culd of hit the brakes/swerved unless the other dudes going mock 5
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I said this, mr bigshot lawyer came on here and told me how wrong I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have always thought the understanding was that if they rear end you its there fault, she wasnt trying to get insurance money(fraud) so it will probably end up other dudes fault
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM

I was in an accident with a drunk driver. I was on a highway doing between 55 and 60 in a 55. There was a stoplight, which was green for me, and the drunk guy was on the crossing street. He made a right turn into my lane as I was entering the intersection. So basically he pulled out maybe 15 feet in front of me when I was a doing 55 or more.

I was later told by a cop that he thought I would have had a fight on my hand not to have it recorded as my fault, and the only thing that saved me was the other guy's .22 BAC. Just some anecdotal evidence.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM

i think i can get an answer for you on this one, but i'm going to need more information on your dad's driving habits.