Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: What\'s the closest you\'ve seen to a no-hitter LIVE.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been to one MLB game, it was Royals vs. Rangers in 95 or so. Kevin Appier pitched a one hitter and lost, the one hit was a homer and they lost 1-0.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. I saw Appier throw a one-hitter in '90. I didn't know he had done it more than once. He was quite a stud in his day though.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been to two 1-hitters. In one game Steve Trachsel retired the 1st 17 batters. The Rockies starting pitcher Tsing Chao Tsu or whatever the [censored] his name was(who would later become their closer)was making his major league debut. So in his 2nd major league AB he ripped a double over the CFers head (I think it was Timo Perez), the ball was misplayed and probably should have been caught. Trachsel retired the next 9 hitters before with 2/outs in the 9th the final batter reached on error, he got the next hitter. So in reality of the 1st 27 hitters he should have got all of them, damn you Timo!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool...we were at the same game. My dad and I sat in the lower deck behind the third base dugout. Later that night we saw the Yankees and Royals. It was the only time I have ever seen two games live on the same day.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM

May 17, 1998. Yankee Stadium. LaTroy Hawkins lost.

And David Wells pitched a perfect game.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Kent Bottenfield for the Indianapolis Indians in 1993. (or thereabouts) He got the first 18 men out, gave up a infield single to lead off the seventh on a high chopper, and retired the next nine men.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM

i saw daniel cabrera mow down the red sox for four or five innings a few years ago at fenway before he remembered he is daniel cabrera and started missing the plate by feet instead of inches. i think he had a no-no going but i don't even remember.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Saw Roger C. throw a shutout vs. the Angels as a Yankee in his last year before pretending to hang it up. Cant remember how many hits he gave up but it didnt seem like many.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I was the announcer. 2002 in Elmira was my last season calling minor-league baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you adhere to the "don't say 'no-hitter' during the game" tradition/superstition thing? Or did you "jinx" it like Michael Kay?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM

My Dad's contributions neither of which technically qualify in this thread but are kind of fun ones nonetheless I think.

In 59 Elroy Face for Pittsburgh set the record for best win-percentage when he went 18-1. My Dad was in attendance at his only loss.

In the same season Harvey Haddix threw a perfect game for 12 innings and then lost the game in the 13th. My Dad wasn't in attendance for that one but watched the whole game on TV and kept a scorecard.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM

I was at the Twins game today and while Santana's no-no was over by the fifth inning, it was the most dominant performance I have ever seen by a pitcher.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 PM

I had a brief summer job at the New York World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows in 1964. Shea Stadium had just opened; the path to the fair passed the ballpark. I would occasionally crash on the apartment couch of a couple of gal pals in nearby Flushing, overlooking Shea. I woke up late June 21st, desperately hung over, turned the Mets/Phillies game on the tube, and cast a bleary eye out the window. Jim Bunning proceeded to toss a perfect game, the first in the National League in 84 years, and his second career no-no. To top it off, a lad from my high school baseball team, Bill Wakefield, pitched an inning in relief for the Mets. And I was too wrecked to drag my sorry tail down to the ballpark to catch the finale. Shame on me...

(I remember the Haddix game, as well. Unbelievable. Years later, the Braves, who had appeared in the two previous World Series, revealed they had stolen every one of catcher Smokey Burgess' signs and they STILL couldn't touch Haddix, who only threw a fastball and a curve. The National League gave Harvey a silver service for his effort, with 12 goblets.)