Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Potential Internship this summer questions...

I have a dilemma right now that I need some advice on. Company A is my absolute #1. They brought me in and interviewed me and the whole experience was amazing and I really want to work for them. They have told me they will know early next week. The HR person I talked to Friday said They have finalized some positions but I am still in the running for others. I forget the exact wording.

Company B has offered me an Internship position for this summer. I am not as excited to be working for them, mainly because company A is my dream company. They gave me a deadline of this Monday that I got extended until tomorrow(Wednesday March 28). The HR person I talked to here said they were considering another candidate so I don't think he will extend it any farther.

Which would you choose?

I don't want to decline the offer and end up with no internship for the summer because I didn't take the sure thing, but I also don't want to take the offer and get accepted to Company A and have no way out of Company B.

I also don't want to choose company B and then screw them over if I do get accepted by company A, because that doesn't seem honorable.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Default Re: Potential Internship this summer questions...

I had the exact same experience when I was in undergrad, except it was for a summer job, not an internship. I had gotten into one law firm as a file clerk (making copies and stuff) and they wanted to know, but I told them no because I thought I had a good shot at the more prestigious firm since i really hit it off with the interviewer. So basically I took the honorable route, told firm B no and got a call from firm A which said "oh yeah, we don't hire undergrads." Gee thanks, you could have told me that before, during or immediately after the interview.

Honestly, i regret it. I ended up with nothing and had to find at a third firm, which was alright, but not nearly as prestigious as Firm B, which was mine for the taking. When I got to law school I found out Firm B recruits at my school and I'm sure summer experience there might have helped me. I know it may sound bad, but take company B's job and just be honest with them if company A gives you the internship. Yeah, its going to be tough to face them and tell them basically you don't like them as much, but you're going to have to make tough decisions in life. I avoided one(granted, it is the honorable thing to do) and it cost me.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Please do what is right.

Honest method:

Explain to your "dream" company your situation. Be clear and honest and try to communicate this not only to your employment rep in HR but also your hiring manager. Make sure the hiring manager knows exactly what is going on. It will be his/her final call on the matter. If they refuse to expedite thier decision making process, then go with your backup internship. Don't gamble on your top choice.

Dishonest and unethical way: (I do not support this)

Accept with your 2nd choice company and then back out if you get a better offer. People do this and it is downright low.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Definitely don't accept B with the intention of backing out if A gives you the offer.

I would ask B if you can have a couple more days. They should be willing to give this to you.

Then, I would call A and honestly tell them your situation and ask if there is any way they can give a decision sooner.

If it comes down to it, I would accept B because it is a sure thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the advice, I still don't know what I am going to do. I've talked to everyone I know, even my barber today. I am going to sleep on it and think more about it during class. I am leaning towards company B.

I don't think he will let me have anymore days because I already extended it to wednesday from monday.

I talked to Company A and the HR person there said some of the managers are taking a little longer to decide than normal and it will be by april 2nd.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 AM

get the number of someone who is actually relevant to the decision however you can and make them explictly clear that you would accept their offer but will have to withdraw if they can't tell you tomorrow.

Then follow through.

I'd be quite surprised if they don't actually accommodate you.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Never fall in love with a company.

It would be much better to work at company B than to return to job searching because you held out to get rejected by company A.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Well here is how things went...

This weekend I just found out that I will be graduating this summer(Heavy load this quarter and an online class in the summer). I remember company A saying you have to return to the school in the fall for one more quarter/semester in order to be eligible. So I called company A to verify that and it was true. It is not in stone yet that I will be graduating but I took Company B's offer and it should be a good summer. Thanks for the advice it helped me think things through a little more.