Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Your First Car?

[ QUOTE ]
got my first car in 1993, a 1973 ford maverick. my uncle bought it new in '73 and thought it was ready for the junkyard, so he gave it to me instead. my dad and I ground out all the rust and fiberglassed everything, painted it black with gray trim, got new tires and reupholstered the interior.

the engine was a 302 V8, we replaced the carburator with a holley 4 barrel, put in an edelbrock intake, dual exhaust and a new cam. also redid the entire electrical system. really fun project, and the first time I really spent a lot of time working together with my dad, who is awesome at seemingly everything.

I'll try to scan and post a picture later.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you had a Grabber Maverick, which is actually pretty cool. I think only the Grabber had the 302 engine. Did you have a 3-speed transmission too?

I know about Mavericks because my own father bought a '71 Grabber model. It had the 302, 3-spd manual, and was actually a pretty cool car.

Technically my first car was a '76 AMC Hornet. It had a 3-spd manual with the shifter on the column. Max reasonable cruising speed was about 65 mph. But I only had it a very short time. Then I got this:

Only mine was white with an orange bird and was pretty ratty. Kept it until a couple years ago when I sold it for tuition money.

BTW I think you have the coolest avatar on 2+2.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM

'86 Pontiac Grand Am, no rearview mirror, dangerously bad brakes, power steering that went in and out, and no working windshield wipers made it the best 1st car ever (or the best last car ever if you did get into an accident w/ it...)
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 PM

1978 Monte Carlo

Had the car for 5 days (got it for free)

the radiator went and head gasket blew it also had 0 shocks and would pitch and roll like you were on boat.

lol
Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM

'85 Toyota Supra. I totally loved this car. I sold it to a friend after college when I bought something a little more reliable. It was a lot of fun to drive though. Almost lost total control of it driving through the hills of Santa Cruz in the rain though.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM

thanks man, bdk3clash made my avatar, david cross rules. my maverick was a grabber as well, I believe you are right that it was the only model with a 302. 2 doors, some other mavericks I saw had 4. the grabber def looked a good deal cooler than the other maverick models. it looked really great after we painted it black.

that hornet looks sweet.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 PM

My first was a 1972 Forest Green SuperBeetle. My grandmother bought it new and gave it to me when she quit driving. That was 1985. So I had a 13 year old Bug with 22k miles on it. I drove it for three years until my parents made me sell it to my younger brother (who had totaled three cars in two years and wasn't to be trusted with anything faster than a Beetle). I used the $$ to buy a 1979 Honda Civic CVCC (the original imported Civic).
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

'86 chevy nova hatchback
Old 03-08-2007, 04:02 PM

'89 Chevy S-10 Baja... think Marty McFly (different but similar).
Old 03-08-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1984 dodge charger
i got it from a friend on the condition that i donate $200 to charity. two years later when it died in my driveway i gave it to the only charity that wouldn't charge me to take it away. it had 3 different colored panels, no heat (in michigan), no right blinker, the driver's door wouldn't open from the outside, and the car shook for about 10 minutes after turning it off. i've never owned a better car.

[/ QUOTE ]

finally found some pics of it
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM

1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type

1 of 6426 produced that year. I loved that car but it eventually died on me.