Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Default 100NL KK vs flop c/3-bet w/ shorty all-in

Long ass post, sorry. I seem incapable of brevity when I'm posting hands

Shortstack button seems poor (no stats yet) and is steaming pretty hard after getting pozzed twice by a donkey (HJ) who's been cussing him in the chatbox. SB is like 21/13/3 and is probably one of you. I only have stats from mining and haven't played with him. I have been pretty quiet and my PFR especially has been atypically low this session (around 8).

Stuff to consider; when the action got to SB preflop, he took a lot of time before calling. Up to this point he had acted pretty quickly. I got the impression he was thinking about what to do with his hand and was contemplating a 3-bet. Obviously timing tells are far from reliable and he might just have been thinking about a hand at another table so whatever. Assign however much importance to this as you feel it deserves.

Also, shorty button for the last couple orbits has been in stack-off mode after the hijack doubled through him twice. He's open pushing ~$25 into limped pots of $3, etc. It's obvious he wants to double up or leave and his range for pushing this flop is any pair or draw. I would expect SB to have realised this which makes the flop dynamic a bit more complicated.

I have a few other questions about this hand from SB's perspective but if responses here are pretty cut and dried they kind of become irrelevant, so, just the hand first.

UTG (Hero): $105
HJ: $125
CO: $98
BTN: $22
SB: $105
BB: $39

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, <font color="grey">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - ($11.50)

SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="red">Button raises all-in $18.60</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $35</font>
Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: 100NL KK vs flop c/3-bet w/ shorty all-in

Ugg, this is a really tough spot do to your timing read, and the presence of shorty in the hand. Your stats at the table make things tougher.

My thoughts are if Villian has JJ/QQ and saw your stats (that you had only raised 8% of your hands), he might be really worried about 3 popping you out of the blinds. If shorty wasn't in the hand I think I would consider folding this, because it could be a set or a combo draw, and probably a lower percentage of time JJ/QQ trying that forgot about why they didn't 3-bet you preflop. But with shorty there, Villian has been forced to make a decision and I think would be more willing to put his stack in with TT+, so I think this widens his range enough, along with the better pot odds, to call with KK here. I would not expect to be good more than 50% of the time here though.

PS: I thought you had given up on this new fangled unlimited holdem..
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugg, this is a really tough spot do to your timing read

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, the timing thing could easily be completely worthless. Would it have made a difference if I hadn't posted it?

[ QUOTE ]
with shorty there, Villian has been forced to make a decision and I think would be more willing to put his stack in with TT+, so I think this widens his range enough, along with the better pot odds, to call with KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does TT/JJ check-3bet this flop though? It's a weird line if that's what he has. The presence of donkey button with just over a PSB left means the pot is pretty much protected and I have to play ABC, so if he just leads, he will find out immediately whether he is ahead or not without having to put nearly half his stack in and potentially commit himself w/ two outs. It's also not a good flop to risk a free card with a hand that might be best, and checking an overpair here is begging to be put in a tough spot if the action then goes c-bet, push with me still to act again after him. This is the way I see it from his perspective, anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
PS: I thought you had given up on this new fangled unlimited holdem..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a masochist lol
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM

I think this is a pretty obvious isolation move from SB. He probably has a decent but not super strong hand. If he had a really good hand he would smooth call hoping to bring you along for the ride. You crush decent but not great hands, so I like a shove.