Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Starbucks Guy screws me out of 30 cents.

I order a small peppermint mocha frappuccino, exactly as it says right off the board. The price is $3.35. The guy rings it up. The register says + mocha. The guy says it's $3.95. I ask him why it's $3.95 when the board says $3.35. He looks kinda scared and stutters a lot, as he mumbles that it's the tax. He doesn't give me a receipt and walks away to start making a previous customer's order. He didn't give any of them receipts either.

There is definitely not a 18% total tax on anything here. I think it over and get pissed. However, someone is with me who will get very angry with me if I cause trouble again over something petty in public, so I can't ask him about it again. But, all these factors combined has made me very suspicious. After reading that taco bell thread a while back, I thought he was stealing the money and the [censored] made a mistake with the math or he is taking an extra 25 cents from everyone.

Ok... so, I stew for a bit while he makes it. I ask another girl working there for my receipt. She looks at the guy and he goes to get it. I get a duplicate copy. I don't know if that means anything. On it, it has the $3.35 and then a + .30 mocha and then +.30 tax.

Is it too petty? Doesn't the principle matter? Is there anything shady going on? Does Starbucks just have a policy of deceptive prices like that? Rate my play? There were several crucial decision points.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Starbucks Guy screws me out of 30 cents.

I think it had to be an honest mistake, doesn't pretty close to 100% of coin change end up in the tip jar?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 AM

Pretty petty IMO.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 AM

Get a life......If hes going to screw everyone out of this hes a genius
Old 11-10-2006, 04:45 AM

I'd say roughly 15% of the time I go to a fast food place, they try to screw me out of an extra quarter or fifty cents. I don't care if it's a penny. They are stealing from me. There is a price and I agreed to pay that.

Why should I not say anything? They will just keep doing it.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 AM

kurosh,
when things like this happen to me I get annoyed. I really hate the idea of someone benefitting from cheating while other hardworking people end up having to pay for their greed. Usually I am to lazy to make an issue of it so I would be very greatful if you made one now and again. Someone has to, but I dont want it to be me.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say roughly 15% of the time I go to a fast food place, they try to screw me out of an extra quarter or fifty cents. I don't care if it's a penny. They are stealing from me. There is a price and I agreed to pay that.

Why should I not say anything? They will just keep doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This changes my answer. Now I think you are just really paranoid. Don't make scenes.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 AM

Poker going that poorly eh kurosh?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 AM

I forgot where I heard this, but there was a guy, he managed a grocery store, for like 10 years, one day some contractors come in to redo the checkout lanes, and they see from the blueprints there is an extra lane? the manager installed a whole checkout lane, cash register and all, and pocket all that money at the end of the day. but what probably happened is that he rang up something wrong, and it was 3.35, but rather than go through the whole bs of re-ringing it etc, he just told you 3.95.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 AM

"Paranoia is an excessive anxiety or fear concerning one's own well-being which is considered irrational and excessive, perhaps to the point of being a psychosis. This typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a likely threat, or a belief in a conspiracy theory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia