Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Call this down? San Jose 20/40

I don’t post a whole lot with my usual handle but wanted to use a new name so players here don’t have a line on my game. I’ll be here at least a week. I usually play Foxwoods and some AC. I usually play lower limits but recently started playing 20/40 and have 6 sessions for 26 hours before this trip. The game is at Garden City 20/40. Good game with lots of loose players and a couple tough spots. Villian is apparently a regular TAG named Hank for those of you who may know him. A couple sarcastic comments when he sat down 15 minutes ago make me think he is a winning player.

4 limpers. I raise Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff. BB (villian) and limpers call.

Flop is Q78 two clubs. Checked to me. I bet. BB and three limpers call.

Turn 4 not a club. Everyone checks, I bet, BB raises, one cold call and the action is to me, am I good here often enough to call down? Is he trying to move me off with a draw or second or middle pair?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Call this down?

I call and reevaluate the river. I call any non scare card and think twice (read: fold) if the donktastic limper bets

turn is a call since the board is so draw heavy and the villian is probably good enough to semi-bluff.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Definite call on the turn. I would call one on the river too.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM

The pot is five way on the turn. Villain likely has a made hand with either a set or 2-pair. Definitely call any board pair/J on the river. I think you can fold if the coldcaller calls. I might call this if I close the action on a blank river.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

chances of villain making a move here with a draw seem VERY slim to me

I think he has a strong hand, but the pot is too big to fold here, closing the action

you should discount your outs a bit, but even then you're getting the right price, so folding is wrong

I'd call and reevaluate river, if villain leads a safe river card which doesn't improve your hand either and the cold caller folds, you're going to have to make the crying river call though, esp against an unknown I couldn't/wouldn't lay this down
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Call turn and hope to score trips/two pairs on river, if you're not already drawing dead. Silly preflop raise put you in this predicament.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call turn and hope to score trips/two pairs on river, if you're not already drawing dead. Silly preflop raise put you in this predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man is trying to trick you. Preflop is standard.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 PM

If he were trying to move you off with middle or a small pair, he would have done this on the flop. If he's a tall guy who wears glasses and a hat, he's a pretty good player (one of the top 5% 20-40 players in the area IMO).

That said, if you're unknown and in a multi-way pot, I don't think he's trying to trick you. He will usually have the best hand in this spot.

That said, I think you can call hoping to counterfeit his two pair. River don't overcall. I don't think he tries to bluff out a multiway pot.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Silly preflop raise put you in this predicament.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's silly if you don't raise this PF...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Call this down? San Jose 20/40

Like everyone else said, call the turn.

And if you improve on the river, and he still bets, I'd probably just call with no read.