Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Default WA/WB with AKo, not my usual line

I don't have a read on villain. He was sitting out when I arrived at the table and just posted this hand. His flop call was almost instantaneous. Love it or hate it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($400)
MP ($1645.45)
Button ($1003.36)
SB ($376.75)
BB ($415.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $6. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, MP (poster) calls $12, Button calls $16, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($56) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, MP calls $50, Button folds.

Turn: ($156) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($156) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $154</font>, Hero calls $154.

Final Pot: $464
Old 09-17-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: WA/WB with AKo, not my usual line

Do you play passive turn and river because you think you are behind and want a cheap showdown or because you think you can make more money playinging it that way?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:30 PM

I don't get it. You're obviously not planning on check/raising the turn, which is the only reason I can see to check there. Why check the river? If you really think you're behind I would think a blocking bet would be called for, if you're ahead I think you need to bet or C/R the river.

What are you putting villain on that he could play this way? I think a weaker two pair seems more likely than a set because of the check behind on the turn.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 PM

I checked the turn to induce a river bluff. Doesn't my hand look like I hated the ace? In my experience (only 3K hands so not much), getting paid off by a dominated ace in a raised pot is very difficult. Once he doesn't bet the turn, I figure I'm probably way ahead and my best chance of making any money on the river is to let him bluff at it.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM

In that case it's a good line. No real draws to worry about from that flop. Not a bad way to play a big ace in general I suppose. Also benefits from players who hit turn for two pair or something because you have somewhat disguised your strength.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM

I actually like it.

against a decent villain, its very difficult to win a lot of money with AK vs AQ.

besides, with third caller preflop and pot sized flop bet, if you bet the turn, you pretty much have to call any river bet.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Ilike uour line, too. But I think I would C/R him all in on the river. If he is on a bluff or weak hand,he will lay it down &amp; not get to see your hand. If he has a weaker Ace he may pay you off.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:56 PM

This is good, v unlikely he calls pf with 34.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ilike uour line, too. But I think I would C/R him all in on the river. If he is on a bluff or weak hand,he will lay it down &amp; not get to see your hand. If he has a weaker Ace he may pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

And since he flopped a set you will be giving him more money.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:59 PM

If this isn't your usual line, what is? This is definitely a play I use almost every time. There's no real scary draws on the flop, and on the turn you look fine.

Looks OK to me, though I may bet the river and call a raise instead. If I only had TPTK, then I'd check-call for sure.