View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I'll probably be going to Bangkok in the next few weeks for a visa run/mini vacation. While I'm there I want to get a complete physical--tests for blood pressure, cholesterol, STDs, liver function, etc. It's not that I'm a hypochondriac, it's just that the health care system in Laos sucks and I want to make sure everything is ok with me physically. How would I go about doing this? Just go see a doctor? Anyone know a good one? I should also probably get my teeth cleaned so if anyone's had a good experience with a doctor or dentist just PM me.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably be going to Bangkok in the next few weeks for a visa run/mini vacation. While I'm there I want to get a complete physical--tests for blood pressure, cholesterol, STDs, liver function, etc. It's not that I'm a hypochondriac, it's just that the health care system in Laos sucks and I want to make sure everything is ok with me physically. How would I go about doing this? Just go see a doctor? Anyone know a good one? I should also probably get my teeth cleaned so if anyone's had a good experience with a doctor or dentist just PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, does any1 know how to do this in USA?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, does any1 know how to do this in USA?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're serious, just call your doctor and say you want a physical including bloodwork. They'll listen to your heart, take your blood pressure, look in your ears, etc, then draw some blood. They'll send you the results and your doctor will tell you if anything is off. I think pretty much all insurance covers a yearly physical.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Ok, I'm sold...I didn't read the whole thing, but still, I'm sold.

That said, my gf and I are going to be coming to Thailand for a month or so in Feb 2008.

What island(s) should we be looking to get a "hut" on and I'd kill for links/ideas/suggestions, fellas.

Gonna start getting our passport's next week :thumbup:

Lastly, for 1 month, for the both of us, how much should we budget and do the islands have reliable internet service?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
xx, How much awesomer is Thailand than America?

[/ QUOTE ]
In a discussion about PUA, what I described is pretty much the absolute nuts, the equivalent of walking around with a olympic gold medal, but I guess I sound like a broken record by now. Mai Bpen Rai!

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, your mentioning it doesn't bother me at all. Are "farang" hated because they're Americans looking for a quick fk? I have multiple friends who go to Thailand to do this, and they're all pretty good looking/successful. They just want to bang hot broads on the cheap, said broads apparently being in abundant supply. Hopefully I'll make it over there someday and be scorned by the locals too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
What I described will be harder in Thailand then other countries because there are more tourists, but there are many parts of Bangkok where there are very white faces and large Universities. If you read this thread there is tons of information.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM

What do you guys do about US taxes etc? I promise to go back thru this thread, between now and Feb. but long story short, what's the trick?

We (gf and I) have talked about just taking a year or so and just traveling abroad, but I have yet to make the transition to "full time" poker etc... I understand the tax implications if you are IN THE US PLAYING POKER, but what about if you're traveling abroad and the money isn't made in the US, nor comes into the US?

thoughts/help?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:16 PM

If you are outside of the USA for at least 330 days in any given tax year then your first 80k is 100% tax free. There are certain limitations to this law though so you should read up on the specifics. 'Self employment income' is not covered by this break. Im not sure if poker winnings falls under this category so if it doesnt then you should be home free.

The tax break alone is more then enough reason to live in Thailand if you are making more then 80k playing.

Additionally, under certain circumstances you can deduct your housing costs among other things. So if you make more then 80k you could still take some nice deductions off the rest.

(My uncle is a CPA and did my taxes and I paid almost nothing while living in Thailand for 2+ years)
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are outside of the USA for at least 330 days in any given tax year then your first 80k is 100% tax free. There are certain limitations to this law though so you should read up on the specifics. 'Self employment income' is not covered by this break. Im not sure if poker winnings falls under this category so if it doesnt then you should be home free.

The tax break alone is more then enough reason to live in Thailand if you are making more then 80k playing.

Additionally, under certain circumstances you can deduct your housing costs among other things. So if you make more then 80k you could still take some nice deductions off the rest.

(My uncle is a CPA and did my taxes and I paid almost nothing while living in Thailand for 2+ years)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok good stuff. So it may just behoove us to hire a CPA to do this for us and let me know, before we go, what we need to do etc.

Thanks bro.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 AM

Bumped for awesomeness.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 AM

any ways to spot a ladyboy?
kind of like if you play poker for 5 years you can spot a donk, well same goes here I assume?
I dont wanna be a joker, but really ladyboys dont sound good. I mean I see trannys in SFbay all the time, but I might actually do something w/ a LB (when drunk obv) b/c some of em are pretty hot (beat).
Closed Thread