Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 AM

Default Q: Shortstacked

Do you "respect" the actions (a raise or reraise) of a shortstacked player at the table less when you don't have any actual read.

When I'm involved in hand with "shortstacked" I often see the raise or reraise as a last act of desperation and play looser in that hand. I don't think it's a benefit in exploiting this but...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Q: Shortstacked

Yeah, at least at the small stakes, it's usually desperation. Sometimes it's a strong pocket pair, but what are you going to do, fold top or middle pair (or whatever) for a bet or two?

So, I guess you "respect" the bets and raises less... typically, I'll let a guy just stack off into me if I have something worth showing down...or the right odds to draw to (e.g. 2302:1 to draw to a flush or whatever).

If you suspect that the opponent is bad, he usually just wants to get rid of whatever is left in his stack so he can log out (or rebuy for the min). Of course he hopes to double up. Oftentimes, I'll see someone get aggressive w/ his few bets if he at least hit something on the board. Middle and bottom pair seem common for me lately.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you suspect that the opponent is bad, he usually just wants to get rid of whatever is left in his stack so he can log out (or rebuy for the min).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the feeling I get, they just want to end it. Sometimes, rare, they have legimite hand or catch a runner and win.

I don't know if this goes into some other forum but, I sneak it in, does any of you have any standards for rebuying or sitting out at a 'shorthanded limit table'. For example if I half my buyin at the 1/2 6Max table, so I have 25 left, I change table, to startover, or rebuy if the table is good, you have good read of the other players.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 AM

On the early streets these players will often raise with anything that has a chance for winning, because they want to either double up or bust and they don't want to lose at showdown with like half a bet left. If they are not aiming to get their stack in by the turn, then I'd treat them as normal (although of course anyone playing shortstacked is less likely to be a solid player).
Old 09-05-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this goes into some other forum but, I sneak it in, does any of you have any standards for rebuying or sitting out at a 'shorthanded limit table'. For example if I half my buyin at the 1/2 6Max table, so I have 25 left, I change table, to startover, or rebuy if the table is good, you have good read of the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter too much, but I typically will rebuy when I dip to half my buy-in. I want to have enough bets to make it to the river so I can get paid off nicely if I hit a good implied odds draw. Switching and moving to new tables has no affect on this decision. I'll leave a table if I don't think I have much, if any, of an edge...unless I want to have a practice session/table running.

Of course, having a good line on your opponents factors in on whether or not you wanna leave the table.