Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: The guy that takes the joke one step too far

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody ever encountered a group of people that can laugh about something taken-too-far-after two-minutes for a whole hour? My housemates are exactly like this. We were just down the pub and the conversation turned to the fact that one of them had recently got some fish. Somebody else said, "I think that stripy one should be called Sue", Sue being one of our housemates who wasn't there. OK fine, I thought. Fairly [censored] joke, small wry smile, let's move on. They then manage to joke about the names fish could have for the next hour- no exaggeration whatsoever. "Imagine if that one fish was called Barry!" And they are laughing throughout the whole hour, and no drugs other than a very small amount of alcohol are involved at all. Three of the five of us hadn't even consumed any alcohol. I was so [censored] bored of this. I'm a very tolerant person, and I can sit there for an hour absolutely bored out of my mind. The thing is I probably looked like I was the one who didn't have a sense of humour. If I'd just shouted "For [censored]'s sake! Please stop talking about fish names! It's not [censored] funny at all", I would be seen as the party pooper, so to speak. My housemates aren't even abnormal people. All of them are pleasant enough and seemingly normal people. This makes me conclude that most people in life are completely boring. I would've been entertained by any topic in the area of sports, entertainment, politics, philosophy, whatever. But they talk about fish for a whole [censored] hour. I remember last year they had a conversation about one of them having seen a fox for about an hour. I can't think of anything so mind-numblingly boring as a conversation they are involved in, and yet I keep agreeing to go with them because I don't want to seem anti-social. I'm sure they would probably prefer I didn't go either because my ability to mask my depressing boredom falters after about 10 minutes and I just sit there trying to deaf them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I read this turdpile of a post and bigmonkey I have to say you need new friends. You just said you don't enjoy hanging out with these guys and they don't enjoy you being there either. Hmmm....
Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 PM

Sorry for the long unparagraphless post. I was still on tilt from it at the time. Believe me I wanted to derail the conversation but it looked like it had more negative consequences than good. Plus there is a small opportunity for SIIHP ATM, which there might not be if I derailed it.

These guys aren't really my friends. As I said they're all nice people, but together I can't stand them. I only have to go on outings like this once every season anyway so I can tolerate it.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM

On a similar note, what's the deal with guys that do the message-board equivalent? Like when someone makes a hopefully fairly clever movie reference and someone just quotes the post and puts a pic of the movie poster.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 AM

To all the guys saying "I'm that guy, but I'm actually funny":

You're not funny.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To all the guys saying "I'm that guy, but I'm actually funny":

You're not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha exactly what i thought upon reading alobar's post. sounded just like something david brent would say.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unparagraphless

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pj,

One of my roommates in college was the king of this, I'll call him Beano.

Conversations would OFTEN go like this:

Me: Haha, of course that guy did well at the math test, he's Asian!

Friend: Yeah, hahaha, that's why Jose is so good at his jobs, those Mexicans are good workers!

Beano: EXACTLY GUYS, THAT'S WHY STEVE [black guy] IS SO GREAT AT HANGING FROM A TREE BY A NOOSE!!!!!

<silence>

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, you aren't taking a joke one step too far if it is much funnier than those that preceeded it. I think Beano would be lame in the following exchange:

Me: Haha, of course that guy did well at the math test, he's Asian!

Friend: EXACTLY GUYS, THAT'S WHY STEVE [black guy] IS SO GREAT AT HANGING FROM A TREE BY A NOOSE!!!!!

Beano: Yeah, hahaha, that's why Jose is so good at his jobs, those Mexicans are good workers!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a similar note, what's the deal with guys that do the message-board equivalent? Like when someone makes a hopefully fairly clever movie reference and someone just quotes the post and puts a pic of the movie poster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably the same deal that's with the people who take jokes too far. They want to be clever, but they aren't, so they piggyback someone else's idea and [censored] it up.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 AM

im definitely borderline this, but usually only because i sometimes have trouble gauging my audience. With my close group of guy friends, my comments are definitely on the hilarious-inappropriate side, while hanging out with my girlfriends friends leads to many jokes taken too far and awkward silences.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 AM

Yes. Beano sounds hilarious if he's to be judged by El Diablo's story.